What's new

A Love Supreme - the book (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
I just picked up a book some of you jazz fans might interested in. It is A Love Supreme - The Story Of John Coltrane's Signature Album by Ashley Kahn. He also wrote a book on Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue.
It is 260 pages and is devoted to one of my favorite albums.
It also features new interview segments with the surviving members of the session - Elvin Jones(who also wrote the foreword), McCoy Tyner and Rudy Van Gelder, as well as some unpublished interviews with Coltrane and Jimmy Garrison.
It was published in 2002 so I don't really know how new it is.
I will write some thoughts on it when I finish reading it.

Regards
KrisM

NP - Bob Marley - Rastaman Vibration(Deluxe)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
KrisM, thanks for the notice. I'll keep an eye out for it, as well as the Kind of Blue book.

Btw, it's Elvin Jones, not Alvin. :)

KrisM

Second Unit
Alvin, Elvin, what's the difference!:D I can't believe I spelled it wrong. I'll have to edit my first post. I didn't see the Miles book, but I just bought this one at a music store with a small book section, not an actual book store. If I like the Coltrane book enough, I'll seek out the Miles book.
Thanks for the link Justin.

Regards
KrisM

NP - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

KrisM

Second Unit
Well, I finished the book last night and I would recommend it to anybody who is a fan of the album.
There were quite a few things that I learned from this book, about the session and the people invloved. There are also alot of good pictures of Coltrane and the people involved in his music.
One thing that I would warn about this book is that it is not completly about A Love Supreme. It is covered in detail, but there are sections before and after the album that are also covered(with mixed results). It takes eighty or so pages to actually get to the recording dates, as the book tries to give a quick lesson on Coltrane's childhood, his time with Miles, his time at Prestige and Atlantic and the Impulse albums before A Love Supreme. There are other books that are better at this, but I think it is because so much was being squeezed into only eighty pages.
It is a good read though, and most Coltrane fans should enjoy it.

Regards
KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Kind of Blue book last night, and it appears to have the same structore of A Love Supreme.

KrisM

Second Unit
Mike, let me know what you think of it when you are done reading it.
Btw, I think structure is spelled wrong.:)

Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks