What's new

A lot of new titles from UK (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Gosh, will GoNY be as ugly as the SD disc? :-@
Some new releases (new movies), at least.
I say; Better than nothing (like this week!!!).

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
Since these are imports are they too going to have forced subtitles?

There are a few titles in this list I wouldn't mind checking out.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

These discs are from the English-speaking UK, there's no reason for them to have forced subtitles.

Vincent

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
The only issue now is finding a region free hd-dvd player....

Looks like a few Disney and New Line titles there...

Dugger

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

HD DVD currently has no region coding scheme whatsoever implemented (although I've heard one is being planned for the future). The titles linked to in this thread will play in all HD DVD players currently available in North America.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
A number of the titles being released in the UK are ether allready released here or going to be by december. There was only one title that is not on the release schedule here that I want. (The Crow)

Maybe I might pickup that title once there is some more information available on it. Like what surround formats are available on the disc and if its a VC-1 encoded disc. And maybe I might look for a review to check if the quality of the disc is good or bad.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Indeed. We, the English, invented the language you know. That's why they call it... English! ;-)

John

John H Ross

Screenwriter

This is a fairly large concern of mine. What if somebody such as myself was to import discs from the US to the UK. They'd play now - sure. But what if some clever sod decides to engage region coding in 12 months time? Or I upgrade my player in 2-3 years time to a machine that IS region coded? Will that affect the imported discs I'd already bought? Or would they continue to play fine? This would affect users in the US who import films from the UK too.

I'm guessing it *shouldn't* have an effect and, even if they do, I'm sure region-hacking won't be too far away. But I wouldn't put anything past these people...

John

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

I'm just speculating, but since the current software titles themselves do not have any region coding, any such region-free software you imported from the US or elsewhere should continue to play even though a later-model player you bought had implemented region coding in the firmware.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

That's what I hoped.

But here's another scenario. What might happen if you try and play a future region-coded disc on an existing un-regionalised player? Is the player likely to mis-read the coding on the disc as an incompatable region and refuse to play it? I'm just speculating here you understand...

John

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will have no problem getting HD-DVD's form other regions then as long as I can player them on my player. Its only a matter of if its a title that I can not currently purchase here and if its a version that includes DTS-HD or Dolby True HD when a version here in the US does not include them.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

I wish I had a definitive answer to this question. Currently, HD DVD is the format that would better suit my purposes due to the absence of region coding, but I hesitate buying into it since the region-free future is uncertain.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Resurrecting this thread to provide a link to a thread over at AV Forums where a podcast featuring an interview with a Toshiba representative is being discussed. I'm downloading this podcast and haven't listened to it yet, but reportedly Toshiba is saying that the first-generation European players, at least, will not be upgradable to support region coding via firmware updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks