A little warning about ubid

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Williams, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Kelly Williams

Hello All,
    I really didn't know where to post this so I stuck it here since it is about a receiver and my help those that are shopping ubid.
    I won an auction for a Yamaha RX-V1000 on ubid the other day and was very excited when the brown truck arrived in the driveway this afternoon as most of always are [​IMG] I just couldn’t wait to get it unpack, once the box was opened and the wrapping was removed I couldn’t believe my eye's.......Champaign! The cotton picking this is champaign color. Now I’m not a ubid virgin and thought I looked the auction over very good as not to miss the fine print and the photo is of a black RX-V1000. Now that I have taken a second look I noticed what was missing, no mention of color anywhere. Under the photo it does say “sample image only” & “see specifications below”. But any who it is a gorgeous receiver and I have decided to keep it since it’s a temporary fix anyway but it took me about 5 years to get all the silver and champaign equipment out of my rank. I have learned a new lesson with them, MAKE SURE OF EVERY THING
    See Ya!
    Kelly

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I wish I could turn all my black equipment champagne coloured![​IMG]. It's funny Kelly[​IMG] , Champaign is in Illinois. Best wishes!

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

If it's new and works, you are a lucky ubid customer. I have made 3 speaker purchases that were ok. The boxes looked like very old stock and no double boxing. But if you can get a really low bid and it's new, you are usually ok. With their very high shipping costs, it is sometimes cheaper to get new stuff at JR,6th, etc.
    We do expect a full report on that RCVR.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

If I'm not mistaken, the champagne models were selling for a little more than the black ones, so you could say you got a bit of a bargain.
    You might also find someone who would gladly trade a black one for yours if you ask on this forum. That is, if you don't find it grows on you.

Cheers

5. Kelly Williams

Well I got it set up this evening, boy what a mess I had all the cables from the old Acurus Aragon set up and eveything else that goes along with it. I found enough dust bunny's for everybody to have one please send your mailing address [​IMG] I need to tweek on it some but it's not bad, I do miss the power from the 8008ST but for what I have in it I'm very happy [​IMG] I pulled the Mini Monitors fromt the home office to use for the rear channels now after 3 years of fooling around with this stuff I have 5.1 he he he.
    Read this post if your are lost about what I'm doing.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=64396

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kelly, I lost, by a considerable margin actually, the bidding for a gold Marantz reciever, the top of the line one from last year's series. The one that's just like the AV9000 pre but with amps. This was about six months ago. Some of us like zee goldt. I wish we had SELL-ECTION more often!!! Every time I see the Elite rep for this area I rag on him to offer the gold stuff they offer in Europe and Asia. I nearly bought a DV-AX10, chaum-payne of course, twice. I kind'a wish I had...[​IMG] I could kick myself! Not only is the AX10 one of the best players, it's the prettiest if you ask me.
    You could get a gold RP91 or JVC 9800 to match your new chaum-payne kit? Best wishes! [​IMG]

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

A (Broken) gold DVL-909 just went for $26 on ebay.

I wonder what the repair bill will be...

Sorry if that was off topic.

8. Kelly Williams

I luv the gold equipment when I first started in the early 80's I bought the gold Harman/Kardon stuff, then CD players came out and they were silver? Add to the mix black Adcom equipment and VCR's well you get the picture a mixed rack of gold silver and black is just too "BLING" for my taste. (Are we home audio fashion queen's)Black can be gloss or flat and it works. I do have to say just the receiver looks ok on top of the rack and I have many more features to play with compared to the ActIII.

9. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Hi-Fi Buys in Atlanta is getting in some RXV1's in GOLD for a retail price of $1299!!!!!

10. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I recently picked up a Yamaha RXV3000 on a great clearout price in the gold colour.
    I initially had qualms about it but once set up and at home, I love the colour. Looks very elegant. Now I wish all manufacturers offered it.

11. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Matt
    Is HiFi buys an authorized Yamaha
    on-line dealer, how is the warranty
    handled?. Thanks.

12. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Kelly,

you may want to contact Ubid about the color. A sample image usually should still represent the correct color. I recently won a auction from Ubid for a refurbished Toshiba DVD player that listed the wrong warrantee terms in the description. They gave me a $40 credit for the mistake.

Frank