What's new

A Little Rusty With This (1 Viewer)

lizardman_45230

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I just recieved a 5.1ch speaker system from a friend. The specs on it is max 120w(front) 120w(center) 300w(sub) all at 8ohms. Now my question is do i need an amplifier or a reciever? the connection diagram says amplifier, and if amplifier what size to make best sound? Thank you guys very much hope to hear from you soon. Mike
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You would need a receiver, to provide a way of controlling the volume if nothing else
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. As for which kind, it depends on what your hooking up to it such as a dvd player , cd player, etc. BTW, what speaker set is it?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The only "Epic" speaker system I can find while Googling is from Axiom Audio and I'm sure your friend didn't give you any of these. More than likely they are from the famous White Van brigade and were originally sold out of the back of a van or truck in a shopping center parking lot. These are also sold on eBay as "Da Vinci" and "Genesis" among other names. If these are indeed flea market style speakers then un-fortunately these are usually of very poor quality and can dip below 2 ohms which can possibly harm/damage an amplifier or receiver.

If you still plan on trying to use them and are in need of a receiver to power them then I would find a good used one on eBay or Craigslist. Look for a 5.1 channel receiver, not a stereo one. Those speakers probably won't be worth spending too much money on a receiver to go with them. Not what you wanted to hear but sometimes the truth hurts.

Hookup should be straight-forward. Speaker wire, a subwoofer cable and some audio/video cables should be all that's needed. If you do pickup a receiver let us know and we'll give you a hand with the installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks