What's new

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC (1977) - any comments? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My copy arrived today, and I watched it. While the color and sharpness are much improved from previous video editions, and we do get the original aspect ratio (1.66:1), the transfer is NOT anamorphic, and the print used for the transfer has not been cleaned up at all. It's loaded with dirt and damage, and thin black scratches are around almost constantly. At one point during "Now/Later/Soon," I saw three distinct scratches running down the frame.

The sound is Dolby 2.0 mono and has a pitifully weak low end.

Still, since this is all we're likely ever to get, I'm glad to have it.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
There is one wonderful thing (to me) about this film and that is the performance of Diana Rigg: "Happy Birthday to meeeee"
She is spot-on, IMHO, and yes, the new transfer, while still in poorish shape looks better than my awful old vhs.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Slightly off topic, but yesterday when I was picking up A Little Night Music, director/writer Bill Condon (Dreamgirls, Chicago) was in front of me, also picking up A Little Night Music. I so wanted to ask him, "Are you planning on remaking it?" but I didn't.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

Where did you find it? I went to 6 stores and finally ordered it online, and in the film capital of the world it's sad you can't find a film on it's relesase date anywhere

Also picked up the new "The Sand Pebbles" but only Circut City had that one in stock for sale.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Greg, I picked it up at Laser Blazer on Pico Blvd near Overland in West Los Angeles.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Is the DVD quality as bad as one reviewer on Amazon claims? the screen shots above aren't that bad.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's the best it's ever looked on home video, but there was no clean up done to eliminate print dirt, damage, and scratches. And it's not an anamorphic transfer which was very disappointing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
In the thread on "Zapped!", someone states that when Embassy's film library was owned by DeLaurentiis Entertainment Group, they junked a lot of the film material. Was this film released by Avco Embassy or did they just have the video rights?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The film was an independant production which sat on the shelf for a while until Rodger Corman (Little Shop of Horrors) released it in 1977 for one or two weeks (to qualify for the Oscars that year) The film was actually released in the Spring of 1978. Embassy had the video rights during the 80's. The film doesn't belong to a major studio and was not successful artistly or at the box office and was left to die a peaceful death.

The film was also shut down a few times while the producers tried to raise more money. The original leading man (Peter Finch) died before the cameras started rolling and was replaced by Robert Stephens and then Len Cariou. You can see Liz's weight change from scene to scene because of the delays in between shoots.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Can't seem to find this DVD anywhere. Ordered it on line but received an email telling me it was out of stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks