1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A little help with Pay Pal Friends and Family...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Arthur S, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I sold a piece of gear and need to finalize payment. Can anyone help me to understand if I can use Pay Pal Friends and Family?

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If you pay with Friends and Family you have NO PROTECTION on sales. Don't use F&F unless you know the person in real life, have done multiple transactions with them before, or if you can afford to lose the money cause you likely will.

With F&F you aren't buying something, you are GIVING money.

DaveF likes this.
  3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks for the heads-up on Friends & Family. I will inform the buyer that we will need to use regular Pay Pal.

Sam Posten likes this.
  4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Probably too late for this transaction though I think Sam nailed the issue -- for anything significant $$$ I would rather pay the sellers PP fees than use F&F.

Heck even as a seller for transactions with people I don;t know well (long time forum people I've done deals with in the past) or anything triple digits, I'd sometimes rather eat the fees and use regular payment since it also provides some protection for the seller. I'm assuming if a buyer uses a regular CC through PP, they could reverse payment and I'm not sure how that would be handled wiht F&F -- would PP or the seller possibly get dinged.

For things like Digital copies there really isn't any protection, but tangible things that have to be shipped I suggest using the Goods/Services style for strangers

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yep, my limit is $10/$20 bucks. Under that and I'll take a reasonable risk.