A little help with my audio calibration, please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_JO, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Anthony_JO

Anthony_JO Auditioning

I've noticed that most of you have calibrated your home theater speakers using the test tones on the Avia DVD. I have done so using the tones on my receiver(Denon-3801). Each speaker is set to 85db. Is this incorrect?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. Anthony_JO

Anthony_JO Auditioning

Thanks a bunch Phil. I have one more question. When I do this, should the volume on the receiver be set at 0db? When I call up the test tones on the receiver, the volume automatically sets itself to 0db.

4. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    It doesn't matter but some like to set to 0db When I set up my system using Avia I set my 3803 (master volume) to +5db, which is reference level after I set the channel levels. The reason for the +5 is I like to keep my channel levels at mid point to reduce any potential distortion form the pre/pro section to the amps. So when I am watching a movie at say -10db I know that I am 15db below reference level. You may want to consider getting Avia it has a number of handy tones as well as a great video section which did wonders on my Toshiba RPTV. When you use the Avia test tones you are calibrating from the source (DVD player) and interconnects etc.

Hope this helps

5. Anthony_JO

Anthony_JO Auditioning

Great...thank you guys for all of your help! this forum's awesome!

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Mental adjustments and convenience not withstanding, I still prefer (like Jeff) to keep the pre-out levels around 0 or below to minimize pre-out distortion. This is especially true for the LFE/sub channel which is particularly dynamic - I run this at -3 to -5.

If this practice requires a Master Volume of greater than 0, I consider that to be the lesser of 2 evils and I do the math in my head.

Regardless, I have often found DVDs to be mastered all over the board with respect to playback volume and some of them are so hot I wouldn't dare play at reference for fear of blowing my ears and/or sub. Other ones are so "cool" I actually play them at 3-4 clicks OVER reference with no problems at all.

Call it anal, but I actually keep a spreadsheet of the "safe" master volume settings (i.e., nothing over 114 dB bass peaks) for all my DVDs so I don't inadvertantly bust something during a demo by setting the master volume too loud.

Minor thread hi-jack: Jeff - I also have the 3803 - how do you like it, what speakers are you driving with it, and what are your electronic speaker size and bass management settings? The front end of the 3803 was essentially lifted from the flagship 5803 and represents a significant improvement over the 3802 in the digital processing arena.

Regards,

Ed

8. Anthony_JO

Anthony_JO Auditioning

Got it. I'll be setting the levels with the receiver volume at 0db. You all have been extremely helpful.

Anthony

9. jeff_coil

Edward,
    I am very pleased with the 3803. I run B&W CDM series all around- 9nt's, 7nt and CMT this is coupled to a SVS 20-39PC+. I must say IMO it is a pretty good performer! The next steps for me will be to add another 20-39 (I have a large room ~8000 cubic ft) and then separate amps probably Rotel as they match up quite nice with the B&W's. This was another reason I selected the 3803 as I felt it would make a great pre/pro as I move into separates. I guess I am with most folks that the only Con I have is the remote but I must admit I got used to it. But my MX-500 remote just showed up today so that is hopefully a non issue any more. New toy to play with!

As far as the settings I have tweaked and played and re-tweaked and currently I have the x-over at 80Hz and speakers to small. However for 2 channel, where the B&W's shine I run in large and no sub. [​IMG]

How about your setup?

Oh yea this weekend I am installing 2 outdoor speakers on my deck and will be using the back channels to drive them with the multi zone function-which I have no experience with. I am hoping this works out because the wires I ran are good grade inwall wires but I would guess about 16 gauge and I have probably 150 foot run for both sides! I guess I will find out[​IMG]

10. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

this is a dumb question but how do you set the reciever volume to 0 namely on a Sony da4es...do you set it to 0 with the volume dial, or is it a setting somewhere?

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Jeff - yes the 3803 has one of the most advanced digital processing front ends in it's price class. I think it would make fine pre/pro. Glad you like yours. Mine is a brand new purchase and it is being shipped as we speak - that's why I was interested in your set-up.

I also have a 20-39PC+. Wow - 8000 ft3 - that's a lot of space to fill. Why not the B4 Plus? :)

7.1 speaker rig consists of all Polk Audio RT series: RT800i (mains), CS400i (center), f/x1000 dipole (side surrounds), CS245i (rear surrounds). 8 ohms all around - not a problem for the Denon. Current settings for my AVR - speaks to small - filter at 80 Hz.

Well enough of this hi-jack - thanks for your feedback!

Jake - some master volume receivers don't go to 0 and stay in the neg range, some go up to 0, and some go over zero into the plus range. Yes, adjust with the master volume until you get the SPL level you need on calibration (75/85, etc).

Ed

12. jeff_coil

Ed,

13. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit