What's new

A little experiment. The all *PRO* 'PEARL HARBOR' thread. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
From everything i've read here in the forum since this film was released last summer, it seems that an average of every other person here hates the movie for one reason or another. Me, I like it, and i'm not ashamed to say so.
What i'm looking for with this thread is a concensous of only those individuals who liked the film.
NO NEGATIVE RESPONSES TOWARD THE FILM PLEASE.
I want to see just how many of us here in the forum enjoyed this film. This should be fun.
And if this thread drops like a stone, i'll get the picture.;)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I like it, the same way I like Over the Top, as a guilty pleasure. As a serious film its not too good.

mark_d

Second Unit
I thought it went above and beyond the call of cliche, Ben Affleck saving our useless British arses was a tad offensive, the set up to the mechanical failure of his aircraft was cack handed at best, and the mix of modern movie tech and 40s "homage" dialogue was jarring.

BUT I enjoyed the film. I like Bay's brand of manipulation - anything where kids are involved is guaranteed to work like a charm on me - so I have to admit to having a lump in my throat come the end of the movie.

I will be buying the director's cut.

Mark

JustinW

Grip
I enjoyed this movie alot more than I thought I would what with all the bad reviews I'd read before hand but then again I have to admit before seeing the film I didn't really know all that much about the whole Pearl Harbor incident including where Pearl Harbor was so I couldn't sit there going "well that didn't happen" and "where'd they pull that from" etc.

This one will be added to the collection for sure.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I absolutly LOVED Pearl Harbor...its a great film.
I really really liked it!
(Alright, Jon...where's my check? In the mail, I hope.) :laugh:
Sorry buddy, just foolin' with ya! ;)

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I liked it. It is not near as bad as people like to say it is. It is like a cliche to say that Pearl Harbor Sucked.
My favorite thing about the movie was Kate Beckinsale.
Later

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I liked the film. Certainly if you want to, you can nitpick to death any film if you have the desire to. But Why? I think a lot of people decided to hate this film when they heard Bay and Bruckheimer were making it. How many slams did we hear about how these guys would totally screw it up, months before it came out.

But I liked it. The attack sequence I thought was spectacular. So was the Dolittle raid. I thought the scenes about the actual war attacks were handled pretty well. The hospital scenes showed the chaos that was present. But then I didn't take this movie so seriously to begin with. As long as they didn't disrepect the veterans, and it didn't, I enjoyed it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
A bigger pile of dogsh... oh wait [reading Johns post very carefully], oh THAT Pearl Harbor, you know I thought it was the other one, you know the one with.. oh forget it...
It was ok, nice scenery, I like the raid bit particularly, actually complained to the management because the bombing bit woke me up from one of my deep somnambulistic [cool word eh] coma like sleeps, that and Sandra nudging me in the ribs.:)
Actually the CGI in these bits were extremely well done I would say, watched some of it frame-by-frame on my DVD (yes I bought it, erm erm Sandra wanted it, phew that was close), yep great FX, very good digital sound, deserves its Oscar nods def, and Kate was very nice eye candy, Jon Voight was excellent as usual.
Well John that was as close to a pro-Pearl Harbor post as I can manage, give me credit for trying at least.:D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I won't say anything bad about the movie, but I would like to go on record as strongly opposing the actual air attack from late 1941.

Regards,

Grant Degs

Agent
I enjoyed Pearl Harbor even though it tried to be Titanic.

What I enjoyed most was the score. I thought it was

wonderful and I hear it everywhere including the Olympics.

Faith Hill's song is very nice also. (How did Until win

best song at Golden Globes? I loved Come What May and

May It Be. I am baffled?)

One thing they could have done to make the movie better

was to cut out all of Cuba Gooding's scenes. Nothing

against Cuba but his character was totally unnecessary

in the movie. The movie would not have been quite as

long if they had done this.

Of course Kate Beckinsdale was another plus!!!

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Once, I went to the theater and I saw two movies. One was a really wicked and startling war epic. The other was a slightly schmaltzy but still decent love story.
My only complaint was that I saw these two good movies at the same time.
That, and my bladder almost commited suicide that day.
Still enjoyed it, though!:)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the movie, it was entertaining and the special effects really helped capture the moment.

At least they didn't make the Japanese look evil, just made the US look dumb.

(Tsutsui = JPN)

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I liked it. Maybe because of low expectations, I don't know. The battle scenes and a lot of the scenery were fantastic. I thought they shoud have spent more time with the sailors but maybe that's another movie.

Bill

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I liked it OK. I didn't see it until last month on DVD, and ordered the DVD from Netflix with trepidation. I groused to my wife early on as the sappy love story unfolded, but that grousing faded away as Affleck's character fought n the Battle of Britain. From then on, I had not problems with this movie.

It wanted to be Titanic. It missed the mark, but it still worked as a historical romance.

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
Pearl Harbor, like Titanic, is a textbook example of post modern film making (pastiche, nostalgic for past, hybrid of genres) and because of this I can appreciate it. Bay's visual style is mesmerizing, the special effects are wonderful, great supporting cast. This movie was unfairly bashed by critics and movie snobs because it was directed by Bay. How you could say Pearl Harbor is crap and then call Titanic, a film about a hag reminiscing about a one night stand, a masterpiece is beyond belief.

Mark E J

Second Unit
Hi, I'm Mark and I'm a fan of Pearl Harbor. :)
Seriously though I agree with David if you accept this film for what it is it's actually quite good. I also agree with David about Bay's visual style. Say what you want about Bay's ability (or lack there of) to tell a story, he is still one of the best visual artists in mainstream Hollywood. His composition and use of colors and movement remind me alot of Bertolucci and Kurosawa. If he ever gets tired of Bruckhimer action fluff pieces and goes for a script with some real meat in it I think he could really be something.
However as far as PH is concerned I don't think we should attack Bay for any of the flaws in the movie because we have not seen his version of it yet. All we have seen is the Michael Eisner PC Disney version of PH. A version that Bay himself has pretty much disowned. Now I don't know if the director's cut will be that much better, but we know from David Prior that the attack sequence is getting a complete makeover. That it will feature digital alterations to existing footage, restored R-rated footage that was cut, plus completely new footage shot just for the DVD. In addition we know the rest of the film will be re-edited to steer it away from the romance. So I think we should wait to see this version before passing any final judgement.
As it is though, I still think the movie makes a great homage to the old style WWII films and the grand epics Cecil B. Demill used to make.

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not ashamed to say I enjoyed the movie, and thought it was one of the best I saw last summer. However, the movie has diminished for me over time. I think it was the "soap opera-ish" love story:

Boy falls in love with girl. Boy gets shot down, and is presumed dead. Girl falls in love with boy's best friend. Girl gets pregnant by boy's best friend. Boy comes back on the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack creating tension. Girl chooses best friend, and father of her child. Best friend gets killed saving boy's life. Boy gets girl in the end, and child as well.

That being said, I still liked the movie, and was moved at the end. I'm also a big fan of Michael Bay. I enjoy all his movies. I don't understand why he inspires so much vitriol on this forum. Maybe that's a topic for another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks