A little disappointed in the Sony xxHS30 sets...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Aug 23, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Tonight I went into my local Sears and got to play with the new Sony 53HS30 HD RPTV. It sat directly next to the Toshiba 50H81 set which I calibrated (with VE) just the other night. I had my VE in my truck, so I decided to calibrate the Sony too. When I was done, the HD image (through video 5) was almost identical to the Toshibas, very nice. The Sony's image still seemed a bit softer...but much less so than last years HS10s. But, then I asked for the stores DISH remote control. After changing the input to a non HD channel, the difference was very noticable. The internal doubler/de-interlacer of the Toshiba unit was much preferable to that of the Sony. I again recalibrated the Sony with VE using the correct video input and it mattered little. I saw much more artifacting, image blurring, and shimmering with the Sony than I did with the Toshiba. It looks like whatever Toshiba is using for their doubler/de-interlacer schemes, they are doing it better than Sony...
    Of course, I now need to check this out in another store with another sample, but for now, I am disappointed in the Sony's performance. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

2. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Was the Sony line doubler set to CineMotion or 960i?
    jdg

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I had it set on Cinemotion. Was that the correct setting or should it have been set on 960 DRC?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------

4. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jim: am I searching incorrectly or do you just think you already have alot of reviews on the xxhs30 sets? I searched for 61hs30, 61hs20, 53hs30, and then 53hs20, each combined with review, and the only review, a short one, it brought up was a review on the 43ht20 set. All the other "found posts" were about promising to post a review soon. Am I missing something?
    On a different note, what do you think about the guy who is trying to sell all of us a copy of a receipt so we can match that price at Sears... he wants me to send him $50 to get an original receipt... [​IMG] what an idiot???
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------

6. Jerry_Cord

Jerry_Cord Auditioning

I also got an e-mail from this guy about buying the 61hs30 for $2100 at Sears. I'm from NY...we don't trust anyone!

7. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

I looked at the xbr-450 at a local CC and noticed the same things you did (especially artifacting!). They also had it in CineMotion. It did get better by changing modes, but I can't remember what was best. This may not be the same for the RPs and also may be related to only "that" experience.
    ------------------