What's new

A little different e-mail scam (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I received this e-mail today:

This is the first you-have-a-fraud-claim-against-you e-mail I've received, although I have no doubt that many others here have gotten them. I can imagine a heavy user of Ebay who runs thousands of auctions, maybe employing someone to take care of the thousands of e-mails received every week, without thinking, might click on one of the provided links and enter information that he shouldn't and begin his identity theft nightmare.

Fortunately, I am a little wiser than that. Right off I checked my PAYPAL account, which listed no claims against me (I have never filed nor have been the receipient of a fraud claim). Plus, I've never even been in a Pep Boys store, or bought anything from them online. And the complaint is awfully old.

Finally - why on earth would I sell a $500 gift certificate for $56?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I wonder if I got one of those - I've never been to eBay. :)

I still crack up over the bank ones. LaSalle is the current one running, and I am tempted to go to the link, make up an account & any other numbers they need, and send it through.
Never heard of LaSalle either.

If one came up for my bank do you think I'd remember they're probably going through every bank in the country? How can they expect to get any replies?

I've got my new Rolex, though! :)

Glenn

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I get these all the time, and into the trash they go. Same with LaSalle and BOA. I just wish I could filter all those f*&^&#$ng messages from that Vanessa chick trying to get me to buy OEM software, but the from field is spoofed, so filtering doesn't work.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I like the one I got a couple of weeks ago, urging me to sign on to my PayPal account because of "questionable activity."

It got a laugh and an immediate delete.

Why?

I don't HAVE a PayPal account.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I love the ones I get supposedly from EarthLink -- indeed my real internet service provider since 1994 -- demanding that I update my credit card info or suffer loss of service.

Two problems:

1 - I now have EarthLink cable broadband, installed and billed by TimeWarner Cable, so EarthLink has had no need for any of my credit card info since I upgraded from dialup several years ago and the billing was switched over to TWC (and my billing with them is NOT by credit card).

2 - I receive more of these types of scams on the subordinate/secondary e-mail addresses than I do on the master/owner address for my account.

I receive probably a couple dozen of these types of scams every single day, counting all the EarthLink, PayPal, eBay (several different varieties for each of those three), and phony credit card company and bank phishing/pharming attempts (mostly institutions with whom I've never had any dealings...Wells Fargo, Sun Bank, etc., but sometimes spoofs of my real credit card providers).

And, anything with a blank subject line or an attachment is sent immediately to the trash with absolutely no hesitation...I don't care WHO it's (allegedly) from, unless I'm expecting something specific from someone with whom I've made prior arrangements.

My DELETE button gets quite a workout.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
You mean I'm probably not really going to get my $256,523.04 from Mr Magambo in Nairobi :frowning: There goes the new HT room addition.

Mort

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Last week, many people in my country got one from our national Girobank - in English! :laugh:

They could also have added THIS IS A FRAUD in the title line in this case.

Of course, I'm not sure how many did actually clicked on one of those links, out of curiosity, and thus proved that they (1) are alive and clicking and (2) possibly have an account with that bank indeed.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks