A little connection help please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike___Walker, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Mike___Walker

I'm new to this forum, and I feel new to HT. I'm just now making the move to digital. I guess this is the perfect place to start. I just purchased an Onkyo TX-DS696 receiver, a Panasonic DVD-RV31k DVD player & the Energy Encore speaker package. Since I'm new to digital, I could use a little push in the right direction for hooking everything up. I already had a Sony SLV-798HF VCR & a Sony KV-27V45 TV. The VCR has analog only audio out from what I can tell. What do you recommend for audio connections, and should I run S-Video from the VCR & DVD to the receiver to the TV? The following links show pics of the backs of the DVD player & the receiver:
    Back of DVD
    Back of Receiver

2. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Hi, Mike! Welcome. I think you'll find this site to be a very useful one. Lots of people around here know lots of stuff. I don't pretend to be one, but I hope I can help.

As far as hooking up audio from the VCR. If you're asking about where to plug what, just hook the Left- and Right-out channels to the Video 1 Audio Ins and that'll do it. Don't worry about the whole digital sound thing with the VCR. It's an analog source (tape), so that's all you have to play with.

As far as the video: I'm unfamiliar with your VCR. If it does have S-Video, then by all means hook it into the Video 1 In and your DVD's S-Video to it's respective Video In, then from your Monitor Out S-Video to the S-Video In on your TV.

If your VCR doesn't have S-Video (which mine does not), then here's how I did mine: the back of my VCR has a Cable In and a Cable Out for cable TV signal. From the wall I bring my cable to the VCR first, then from the Cable Out on the VCR to the TV. It's audio is still hooked up through the receiver, so I can have the sound but the video feed is going through the coax cable direct to the TV. I hope I'm explaining this OK.

I'm also unfamiliar with your TV. Does it have Component Video connections? If you're unfamiliar with what these are, look at the top left corner of the back of your receiver; you'll see three sets of Componenet Video connections. If your TV has these, then I'd recommend you hook your DVD player up that way. You get much better picture quality with that.

I hope this helps!

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Chauncey pretty much covered it. The only thing I'd add is that you'll need an optical digital cable to connect the DVD player to the receiver, since the player doesn't offer a coax digital out. Not a problem, since coax and optical are equally effective. I wouldn't even bother with L&R analog cables from the DVD player.

M.

4. Mike___Walker

Thanks for the help! From what I can gather, here's the setup I have planned. S-Video coming from VCR & DVD into receiver, then an S-Video going from receiver to TV. That should cover my video, right? Then, optical from DVD to receiver & analog from VCR to receiver. This is what I had planned in the first place, but I wanted to double check with some experienced knowledge. As far as my speakers, I'm planning on running the four satellites wire through the walls. Is there a recommended wire for this? I know the wire issues are a heated debate, but I guess I'm going to touch on it anyway [​IMG] Monster seems to be well shielded, but very expensive. I could go with Monster, but what are some good alternatives for all my wires? Since I'm looking to buy a new house, I may not install my new speaker system, yet. However, I have a healthy pair of Infinity RS5 speakers & a Cerwin-Vega e-series center for the time being. I figure I'll hook up the Encore sub until I make the move. Any additional info is much appreciated...

5. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

With a 27" screen TV its unlikely you would notice

any difference between S-video and component video.

I would suggest, run all S-video to the receiver

and use the TV as a monitor only.

My 'wife-friendly system:

Video:

IN: cable TV > VCR > Entech converter > Receiver (S-video)

IN: DVD > Receiver (S-video)

OUT: receiver > Sony WEGA (S-video)

Audio:

IN: VCR > Receiver (Analog L/R cables)

IN: DVD > Receiver (fiber optic cable)

IN: CD > Receiver (fiber optic cable)

IN: Tape > Receiver (Analog L/R cables)

I have an additional low level analog pair

running to the tape deck for recording.

The nice thing about this set-up is the receiver's

remote can do all simple playback functions.

6. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Mike-

I have never used them, but I hear that Acoustic Research makes good cables for much less than Monster. Best Buy carries them. I also hear people talk about Radio Shack Gold cables.

I have all Monster on my set-up currently, but I think next time I need to buy some cabling it will probably be the Acoustic Research. The price difference can be significant and I hear they're just as good.

7. Mike___Walker

Thanks for the info. Speakers have arrived, but I'm still waiting for the receiver & DVD. Hopefully, they'll be here today since UPS doesn't run on the weekends [​IMG] Anyone else ever buy from J&R? They were the best deal I could find for an Authorized Dealer...