A little confused about DVD-Audio. Need stupid ?'s answered.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Okay, I have the Denon AVR-4802 and the JVC XV-SA75GD DVD player, which is DVD-Audio compatible. I have a few questions. Here is the back of my receiver, in case you need to reference it to answer my questions:
    http://www.globustech.com/chris/avr4801back.jpg
    1. Are there any DVD movies out with DVD-Audio, and if not, will there be?
    2. In addition to my digital optical connection, do I also need to connect the analog cables for DVD-Audio?
    3. Do I connect the DVD-Audio cables to the Pre-Out on my receiver, or the Ext. IN?
    3. How do I know that I am getting DVD-Audio if I also have the digital optical connection hooked up.
    I guess this question applies only if there are DVD-Audio movies:
    4. How would I take advantage of the DVD-Audio when playing a DVD-Audio movie if I have both the digital optical and the DVD-Audio connections hooked up?

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

3. Do I connect the DVD-Audio cables to the Pre-Out on my receiver, or the Ext. IN?

Connect your cables to the EXT-IN area at the rear of the receiver and when you put on a DVDA, make sure you press the EXT-IN switch to utilize the full 6 channels.

My Denon 3300 has a EXT-IN switch on the front of the receiver for instance.

JohnG

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

4. ChrisSk

ChrisSk Extra

From looking at the image of the back panel you've posted, there's only one center (white) and one subwoofer (SW, red) underneath it, the other two are marked SB and are for the rear most surround channels. You would only use 6 of those 8 inputs since DVD-A only supports up to 5.1 channels of output.

5. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit