A little boy, a big TV, and glass cleaner

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt_JP, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Matt_JP

Matt_JP Auditioning

I thought some of your might enjoy the saga of last night's death and rebirth of my new RPTV.

It's been 6 days since the delivery of my new Sony 65WS550. The TV is sitting in the family room, I'm sitting in the living room, and I hear "Mom, Benjamin is spraying cleaner on the TV and scrubbing it with a brush!" I sprint out to find half of the screen saturated with Glass Plus, and my 20-month-old son standing there with a spray bottle in one hand and the nastiest stiff-bristle cleaning brush I've ever seen in the other hand.

I entered panic mode and, as one would rush for a fire extinguisher to put out a fire, I shot off down the hallway to grab some emergency Soft, Lint-Free Cloth. I carefully removed the glass cleaner from the screen with one cloth, cleaned with distilled water with another, and dried it with a third. Apparently he never got the brush on the screen, as I couldn't see any scratches. The screen looked fine and I breathed a sigh of relief. Little did I know...

About 5 minutes later I notice a foggy area at the bottom center of the screen. It looks like etched glass - essentially opaque. Over the course of 15 minutes or so that area grows to about 2" x 2" and is accompanied by a 2-foot wide by 8" tall "smile" shape. I then realize that glass cleaner has pooled under the screen and is being wicked up into the fresnel lens. My heart sinks. My head starts to throb. I imagine my son throwing handfuls of cash into a roaring fire. My family eats dinner, I'm not hungry.

About 2 hours later the foggy area has gone away, but as the smile dries, it is leaving behind some sort of film that is obviously going to be permanent. It's time to make a decision. Do I A) Call a service shop and have them replace the lens for who know how many hundred $$$ or B) Take this monster apart and see if there's anything I can do about it. I figured I probably couldn't make things any worse, so I went with B.

After about 2 hours of scouring message boards, I finally find instructions for the disassembly of a similar model. Some 60 or so screws later, I've got a 65" bezel and screen stack lying on a sleeping bag on the family room floor. I carefully flip the fresnel lens off of the other screen components and realize that the smile is no longer visible. Thanks to the optical quirks of the fresnel lens, the smile is only visible while the lens is stacked with the other screen components.

After about an hour of careful work with distilled water and alcohol, I had succeeded in creating large smears where the smile used to be. I was not encouraged. I was certain that I had caused physical damage to the delicate fresnel lens, but with my wife's encouragement, I made one more, very careful attempt to use distilled water and managed to improve the smears. After about another 45 minutes of carefull cleaning with distilled water and soft cloths, I made the smears almost disappear.

With the screen as good as I could get it, and not wanting to press my luck any further, I carefully reassembled the screen and TV. (so many screws!) I turned it on and... It worked! There was no sign of the smile or the smears that were once visible on the fresnel lens. Success!

2. LexusN

LexusN Agent

great story!! i'm glad it all worked out for you!!

3. Matt_JP

Matt_JP Auditioning

I wanted to put a link to some images of the "smile" and the disassembled TV, but the forum won't let me until I have 15 posts. You can find the photos at:

www dot dovesoftware dot com/rptv

Replace "dot" with a dot to check them out if you're interested.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    *lets out a sigh of releif*

haha, i felt your stress as i read through your post...

5. Jeff Welborn

Jeff Welborn Auditioning

That's a great story. I can just see you sprinting into the room, seeing your son with the cleaner and yelling at the heavens with clenched fists, "NNOOOOOO!!!!!".

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Of course, you're going to have a little talk with your son that he won't forget.

7. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

C'mon, the kid's not even 2 years old! I don't think it's time to break out the finger cuffs just yet. However, if he grows up to be a videophile, I'm sure he'll be mortified to hear the story.

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

No you can't talk to him because on top of it he probably though he was helping you out by cleaning it? But maybe it's time to lock away all the "Stiff Brushes" in the house [​IMG] Great story though & I'm glad it worked out for you.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

PS: Forgot to add that if he saw you take it apart you better hide the screwdriver's too [​IMG]

10. Matt_JP

Matt_JP Auditioning

LOL! No, all the little ones were in bed before I busted out the screwdriver. My wife and camera were the only witnesses.

Junior's not in trouble, either. He was just trying to do some big boy work. It's our fault for leaving the cleaning supply cabinet unlocked. It could have been a lot worse than a dirty lens and we'll be more diligent in the future.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Yikes! This sort of thing makes me fearful of having little ones. I would want to have the HT in a separate room with restricted access.

12. Zach Foster

Zach Foster Stunt Coordinator

That's one of the most suspenseful HT stories I've heard, give the guy an award! Seriously though, I can only imagine how you felt during all those tense moments. Its great to hear all is back to normal again!

13. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Great attitude! Great story and congrats!

14. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

15. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Great story!!!

Just make sure to hide your tool box [​IMG]

16. TonyGricar

TonyGricar Agent

i would have followed these steps:

1.) throw all the disassembled parts into the back of your "2+ kids, obligatory mini-van".

2.) drive it back to the store.

3.) tell a sales clerk that your tv is clearly defective.

4.) demand an apology.

5.) take new tv home.

anyone who's ever spent one day working in retail will swear they've seen far worse attempts to return things.

-tony

17. Ronald Aguilar

I was holding my breath the whole time reading this story. Great to hear that it worked out in the end. I have 3 kids and can imagine that happening at my house. We have a 5 year old girl that just wants to help all the time!

Ron A.

18. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

Just the same, keep an eye on this one.

I'm told that before I was old enough to remember it, I:

1) Took my older sister's Omega watch apart...and ate the tastiest parts.

2) Went to the grocery store with Mom, escaped, and was found by the manager...sitting in the store safe; happily licking and sticking S&H Green Stamps. He SWORE the safe was locked! (I do remember the safe.)

3) Pulled myself upright at the foot of my brother's bed and cut halfway through the footboard with a handsaw. (I also have a fuzzy image of that one.)

4) Etc...etc...etc...ad nauseum.

Boys *WILL* be boys. [​IMG]

19. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    Matt,
    I just want to let you know that you've saved the lives of my 3 and 6 year old. My wife can let them return from protective custody. I'm just about to dive in and tackle a similar problem... glad I'm not the first to have such an issue, but I knew if there would be anyone else, they would be here at the HTF.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=244458

Time to dig in...