A LETTER OF APPRECIATION to all HTF members...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I joined this forum three years ago and since then have amassed so much knowledge of film history, technique and appreciation that I just had to express my heartfelt thanks to you all. I have been a movie addict since I saw my first theatrical film in 1955 (LADY AND THE TRAMP). I spent many happy childhood hours pretending I was "in a movie" by acting out all the parts (I remember doing this after seeing "7th Voyage of Sinbad," and cracking up everyone who witnessed me walking like the cyclops). I would turn my bicycle upside-down and pretend it was a movie projector and the wheels the reels, and would stand in front of it and perform an entire movie from memory, usually one I'd just seen a half-dozen times on MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE on WOR Channel 9 New York. Finally I began saving up money from mowing lawns to purchase silent 8mm Castle Films and running them in a theater I fabricated in our cellar, providing all the music and sound effects myself. Eventually, this led to 8mm sound, then Super 8mm sound (and some very earnest and very expensive film collecting), then VHS, then laser, and now DVD. Through it all I have loved the film experience as much as anything else in my life except for a few special people and one particular dog. I began making my own films as a teen, some in 16mm but most Super 8mm magnetic sound, until I finally went in another direction in my thirties. But my love for film and the film-going experience has remained strong.

Well, I thought I knew a lot. Aside from seeing nearly every major movie to be released during the 70's and 80's, I read constantly about film, watched my shelves of lasers/DVD's grow to bursting, and became a huge aficionado and collector of original film scores. I could rattle off facts about the smallest of details (film dates, studios, cast, composers and technicians) and won every game of SILVER SCREEN TRIVIAL PURSUIT - no one would play me after a while. I wanted to go on Jeopardy with the hope at least one movie category would come up.

Then I joined your forum. Whoa! My knowledge of film is shallow compared to that of many of you out there. I won't say it puts me to shame, because I have enjoyed learning from you all and am willing to learn more all the time. Many, MANY thanks to those of you who contribute
    such a wealth of information to these threads, from Robert Harris and his technical tidbits to those of you who happen to own equipment I can't yet afford and report upon its pros and cons. I feel I almost know some of you through the "After Hours Lounge," and have had nearly every one of my questions about film and video equipment answered with multiple member responses. To actually get a reply to my DVD suggestions from a studio rep at Fox or Paramount, or specs about film restoration from someone who actually performs it, is thrilling as hell!

I also want to thank Ronald Epstein and all of the moderators for holding this forum together, refraining from charging a fee for it (which must be getting harder with decreasing advertising revenue), and for keeping it a polite, fair and a comfortable place where film fanatics can express views and share ideas in a friendly venue. I've had my share of stupid posts, the result of not thoroughly reading the guidelines, or just asking a numb question or making a moronic remark, and for the most part I haven't been flamed more than I deserved. Thanks for everyone's patience!

No, I'm not leaving the forum. I just wanted to take a few minutes to let you all know that I admire your very great knowledge of film and love hearing more about this wonderful media.

Many warm regards,
    Dick

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Dick,
    I appreciate your kind words and like you, my love for film particularly those films from a past era was fueled by my exposure to WOR Channel 9 in the early 1960s. It's a pleasure having you as a member here.

Crawdaddy

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    And (speaking of messing up my posts), I apologize for RON Epstein for calling him Robert!

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I share Dick's appreciation of the HTF membership and would also like to thank everyone worldwide for helping me better understand the science of movies and home entertainment. I had known about HTF for a while but never joined until this year. I think it was because I was involved in so many other message boards around the net that I didn't have room to participate in any more. But after leaving a very large message board last year a void was created and HTF filled it wonderfully.

In that respect I'd like to commend everyone; regular members, mods, administrators, VIPs and owners for maintaining such mature and well-balanced forums. I've seen how ugly it can get on other message boards(which shall go nameless) and to read and participate with people that have the upmost respect for each other is refreshing and that's what keeps me here. Sometimes I might not make the best choices when posting or I might ask seemingly stupid questions but hopefully it's kept to a minimum.

Thanks! [​IMG]

5. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    wow.

DITTO.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

7. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

May I second all the above posts. Since joing this forum I have experienced only polite, wonderful and very experienced advice, chat and general good feeling. I cannot express how special this forum is for myself. Where else would I get to communicate with the important people in dvd. The passionate fans of the format and the people involved in creating them! Long may it continue, and many many thanks.

Danny

8. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Home Theatre Forum is indeed the best in its genre,the members and staff are very helpful for questions ,and are very knowledgeable. Thank you Ron for putting up with all of us ! Just kidding,everyone here is in good company ![​IMG]

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Great post Dick! Ron and Parker and all the admins really do deserve a big thumbs up from all the members.

I'm sure it's very gratifying for them when they read an obviously heartfelt post like yours.

Cheers![​IMG]

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Also, you didn't mention Parker Clack in your
    post. Parker is my partner here, and though
    he is not as seemingly present in the foreground
    as I am, everything you see in this forum is
    a direct result of his efforts. He is the guy that
    works behind-the-scenes, constantly tweaking the
    software to perfection. Parker's efforts here
    truly speak for themself.

Finally, thanks for thanking the Moderators.
    These guys dedicate a lot of their voluntary
    time to this board.

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Dick,

You're not leaving? What a bummer! [​IMG]

Peter

12. John Fieldstadt

John Fieldstadt Stunt Coordinator

I feel that I must join in this love fest! I too joined a little over 3 yrs ago. Thanks to the very knowledgeable members of this forum I was able to go from putting together a haphazard home theater to learning about how to build a great system AND find some fantastic deals to put together a home theater like I would never have dreamed of. Althought it is now 3 yrs old (ancient in the eyes of some people!) I am still very pleased with it and it brings joy to me and my family on a daily basis! I never would have come close to this had it not been for the wonderful, helpful membership of the HTF.

I have not been much of an active participant for most of these past few years as there seems to be little that I can contribute and yet I use the HTF as a resource on a daily basis. It seems that every time I have a question all that I need to do is run a quick search and sure enough the information I was seeking is there!

Thank you all: Ron, Parker, all the administrators and the membership....you all contribute to making my hobby all that much more enjoyable. Cheers!!!

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wow, thanks Dick and the rest of you. As Ron said, we're fortunate to have such a high-quality membership.

14. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    Sniff! I'm getting all teary-eyed![​IMG]

Seriously though, I usually just lurk in the background to try to learn from people that are a lot more well-informed than I am. And I have learned a lot since I've been coming to HTF.

Great thread. And a great forum.

15. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

I have to admit, this is the best forum of anything, not just topics relating to home theater, that i have ever had the chance to visit. One of the major [​IMG] about the HTF is that everyone here is polite, quick responding, and intelligent. Unlike some other websites that get full of people who enjoy talking in "L337 H4x0r 5P34k" and making fun of ones mother. Keep up the good work everyone![​IMG]

16. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Ditto to owners and all moderators. I've done some hosting and moderating myself, and keeping such a large and diverse membership engaged as well as within forum rules and guidelines is to simply put: "unbeleivable". I don't even know how you folks did it, and keep doing it, but I am sure it involves a lot of hard work, greatly appreciated[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .

The quality of membership here is "Simply Marvelous", what a great source of knowledge !!!

17. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    I also love belonging to such a strictly moderated forum - I don't even remember how I found it, but I'm glad I did. Hope it lasts forever. I never knew some of those obscure 80's movies have such a dedicated fan base until I came here. And somebody else remembers WOR - I used to watch those cheesy movies they showed in the afternoon back in the mid 80's! Peace.

18. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

aaaaaaaaah big group hug everyone!!!! hehe j/p but seriously after purchasing my latest HT equipemnt and at the time running my own forum for Street Racing enthusiasts here in the Northwest I decided to search and see if I could find a decent forum for HT enthusiast's and low and behold look what I found.

This board is beyond words in so many ways, at anyrate my hats off to everyone here having run my own site for quite a while which even though it had a 10th of the userbase as here was bad enough I can only imagine the daily hell that the admins/mods/ and others behind the scenes go through here to keep us all happy HTFer's (hmmmmm that kind of sounded bad but I'll leave it for comical value.) there has been so much great help here and I really have appreciated all the posts when ever there is a major defect in a dvd that I'd probably be normally ignorant to though I bought "James Bond D.A.D." before checking here and now have a defunct copy of that. At anyrate I as I'm sure all of you look forward to the ongoing info that is abundant here as well as being one of the many of us who enjoy answering questions for & helping other members of this site!

19. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    I think I joined this forum sometime around August/September of 1997, which was only a few months after the forum was started. Hardly a day has gone by when I have not logged in and gone thru the various posts and in the process gained immensely from the knowledge of the wonderful membership and staff (Moderators and Owners included). I have never been a very prolific poster, no more than maybe 400 posts in almost 6 years, but that is only because compared to the knowledge of others here, I find my own knowledge to be limited. But whenever I can, I do post my opinions and try to be of help. Needless to say, it has been a pleasure to be a part of this forum and I hope and pray it continues to bring us all pleasure for a long long time to come.

By the way I think I am a unique member in a way, because I think I am the only one here whose membership enrolment date is not indicated by the system. Hmm... I wonder why?

Sanjay
    Member since 1997

20. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit