What's new

a lesson for new-comers to the world of HT (1 Viewer)

john_focal

Agent
having purchased my budget minded system about 6 months ago (sony str de-675 reciever, HTD level 3 speaker system), I was initially pleased with my purchase.
The living room I was using (12 x 13) was a very bright room, a good amount of windows, and hardwood flooring. We'll get back to this.
As I listened closer though, and began to nitpick what I purchased, some glaring issues became apparent to me. Details that I knew were in some pieces of music were missing a bit. Some midrange tones in music were almost piercing to listen to. (Martice's reference disc really brought this to light, btw).
Knowing that I purchased definitely budget-minded equipment led me to immediately begin to blame the system itself. I moved speakers, moved the sub, changed from small to large speaker settings, started lurking here :).
I then went, and auditioned a set of Paradigm reference 60's, hooked up to a Marantz reciever. "Heaven!" I exclaimed. THERE are those details I'm missing! Even clearer, I thought, is the fact that my equipment is just lacking. So the shopping/dreaming stage began.
Now the attic of my house is a finished room, fully carpeted, with low (6'5") ceilings, and is 13 x 23 or so.... the walls are verticle till about the 3 foot mark, then angle to follow the roofline. A lightbulb went off in my head out of frustration. I brought 2 speaks, the subwoofer, and reciever/cd player upstairs, and sat and listened. And was promptly blown away by what a HUGE difference the room made.
Now, a week later, after a small session of pleading to my better half that this was the best thing to do *wink*, my whole setup is now in this room. I then went out and grabbed the Radio Shack spl meter, and borrowed an Avia CD off a friend. After an initial adjustment, I pressed play on the "extended pod race lap 2" of SW:TPM. I heard sounds I didnt even realize were there, and was simply amazed at what I'd been missing.
The moral to this? I think the room change made far more of an impact than if I were to stay in the original room, and upgrade my equipment. So if you are new to all of this, take a good look at the room your planning on putting equipment in. Plan to have some sort of room treatment $$ set aside when you budget your system out, if the room you're going to be using isnt very good sounding. Believe what you read when the room itself is a huge part of the equation, and should be treated as a component itself. Granted, I can still see things I'd like to improve, but I feel I am finally getting my money's worth out of what I purchased. :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's excellent advice...check your PM for something you might find useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks