What's new

A League of their Own SE, audio error? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Here's a kind of dumb question-does it sound bad?

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet-never had the old version.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Yes. There is NO SURROUND CHANNEL.

Sure, this isn't a huge action movie. However, there was a good deal of ambience from Hanz Zimmers score as well as the fans at the baseball games. I know there was a lot of reverb from the announcer at the games as well.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The reviewer at DVD Talk seems to think the audio on the SE is "Excellent". .......

On a scale of Excellent, Good, Fair, and Poor, A League of Their Own rates:
Movie: Excellent
Video: Excellent
Sound: Excellent
Supplements: commentary with director and cast members, deleted scenes, docu, trailers
Packaging: two discs in Keep case
Reviewed: April 8, 2004

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10221

I have no quibbles with the "3.1 DD" track that we (mistakenly) get here. It sounds pretty "full" to me actually. Possibly the "Virtual Surround" on the Player is picking up some slack on this disc...is that possible if NO Surround channel is present in the first place? I'm not sure. But it sounds good to me at any rate.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The original DVD definitely offered some surround information - not a lot, but a bit of ambience. It also simply sounded better, at least to my ears. I thought the 3.1 poured on too much bass - the LFE was boomy and loud.

But I'm also apparently the only person who thought the original DVD looked better than the new one.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Well, that could be why I think it sounds OK. I hate subwoofers (in general), so the LFE channel is a non-issue on my system (discrete channel-wise, at any rate).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It's funny, isn't it, how different people will hear different things from the exact same source material. Here's a reviewer who seems to think this 4.0 track sounds pretty much like a 5.1 (which seems quite curious in this particular case, since there are zero Surround channels evident here, instead of 5.1's two discrete ones). ......

Audio:
"The soundtrack is in English 4.0 Dolby Surround and French Dolby Surround (English-only subtitles), but to my ear, especially when the ‘40s music starts hopping, it’s not noticeably different from 5.1. There’s plenty of thumping bass, though the sound you’ll hear most is the crack of a ball against a Louisville Slugger. In the extras, Marshall talks plenty about the looping she had to do to get around noisy shots involving gravel and traffic, and it’s interesting to go back to the film after listening to her comments."

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/League...l_/12024/2024/

CraigL

Screenwriter
ugh...well...it's still fact that there's no surround channel, regardless of what some people's machines are processing. And honestly, with all due respect, I think it's a tad bit ridiculous that a reviewer is using a 3D surround system for a review. A bit amateurish and not entirely accurate, no?

I just don't know what to do about this set. I guess I'm going to wait and see what happens in other regions. The most one can hope for is that some region will only get widescreen and they will have fixed the sound.

Does anyone know their information? I'd like to write them a letter or contact customer service or something!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yes. Reviewers should use the standard form of audio without embellishments. There will still be imbalances - maybe my sub's turned up louder than someone else's - but at least we can even out other factors...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just got done watching this. My player also showed 3.1. Sound was OK, but certainly nothing special. No surround activity here either.

Sort of a side question here-when you have a 2.0 surround track, is the center channel just derived from the left and right signal by the receiver?

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Hasn't anyone stopped to think for a moment, that perhaps the surround information was wrongly encoded as a .1 LFE channel?

And as for CTHE, they DO offer corrections in some cases. FOr instance, CTHE is looking into the picture problems on the "Eating Raoul" DVD.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes. That's obviously what has occurred in this case, since there's NOT supposed to be any LFE discrete channel on this disc. The mono "surround" channel was encoded as the ".1" instead, for some curious reason.

CraigL

Screenwriter
So there's no real way to fix this is there?

Why do I feel like this would be an easy thing to switch?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was just watching this film, and what's really interesting is how great the French track sounds.

Full, lot's of separation and plenty of surround activity.

This really sucks, OUI?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks