What's new

A League of their Own SE, audio error? (1 Viewer)

Matthew_B

Agent
Real Name
Matthew
Hey all,

Is it just my copy, or did anyone else notice this? It says on the case it's in DD 4.0 (would have preferred 5.1 for a SE :P) but it's actually in 3.1! At least on the 16x9 side of the disc, have yet to try the 4x3 (but who would watch that?)

Obviously this is an error? I've never heard of a movie in DD 3.1... strange. It'd be nice if they could fix and replace these discs...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Nope, it's not just you. Most of the reviews claim it's 4.0, but I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion unless there IS some weird authoring glitch that sent out some as 4.0 and some as 3.1. I seriously doubt that and suspect not all of the reviewers - gasp! - actually paid attention to the DVD instead of the box. Mine's definitely 3.1...

Matthew_B

Agent
Real Name
Matthew
3.1 = Front Left Right and Center (3), LFE (Sub .1)

4.0 = Front Left Right and Center (3), Rear (Mono, 1 = 4)

CraigL

Screenwriter
But I'm confused...isn't this a Dolby Surround title? Aren't the surround channels just derived from the stereo mix anyway? You don't have to have a 4.0 mix because that can be taken from a 2.0 mix. Or am i confused?

I know the original release was in surround. This seems a bit pointless to me.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I though 4.0 was back left right and front left right, Pretty much 5.1 with out the the center and bass track. The Edward Scissor Hands has both a 2.0 surround and a 4.0 track so if 4.0 Front Left Right and Center that's pretty much the same as the 2.0 surround isn't it?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Is there at least a 2.0 surround track on it if they screwed up the 4.0?

Todd Phillips

Second Unit

Actually I think that depends on the program. 4.0 just means 4 full-range channels. 4.0 Movies are generally Front-L, Center, Front-R, Rear; while some music-related programs (concerts, DVD-A) might be Front-L, Front-R, Rear-L, Rear-R.

Matthew_B

Agent
Real Name
Matthew
The only audio track on the DVD is the DD 3.1/"4.0", the original 2.0 is not included. BTW, it's the same story for the 4x3 side of the disc as well. Sigh.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
If, in fact, this is the correct audio .........
...... Then there's NO surround channel here at all.

This can't be right, can it? :confused:

Are you sure the "3.1" isn't a "Left - Right - Surround - LFE" mix -- with no separate channel for "Center"?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A related soundtrack question I've been curious about ........

Why is it, on all DVD packaging, whenever a 2.0 Dolby Pro-Logic Surround track is listed, the word "Digital" is never used?

eg: A certain DVD's audio specs might read:

5.1 Dolby Digital Surround;
2.0 Dolby Surround;
2.0 Dolby Digital Mono.

I realize that the "Pro-Logic" (2.0 Surround) track is a matrixed system....But doesn't EVERY audio track being placed on DVD-Video become "Dolby Digital" after the transfer to a Digital Disc? At least my DVD Player shows all audio to be "Digital".

All Panasonic DVD Players show every Pro-Logic Surround track as " Digital 2/0" when you hit the "audio" button. Is this not accurate for 2.0 Surround tracks? Is a Pro-Logic track NOT Digital (even though the word "Digital" lights up on my player)?

http://www.dolby.com/company/is.ot.0...ew.05.html#s5b

Matthew_B

Agent
Real Name
Matthew

Yes, I checked on my home theatre and on my computer's surround sound. No surround channel at all. Front L, C and R, and LFE.

As for your other question, I've wondered that myself...

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator

Yep, regular Dolby Stereo.

I suppose it would be possible to extract some surround ambience if you utilized the downmix through the analog output. Of course, that would hardly be representative of the original mix.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
What's the audio track for the original DVD release?

I see Dobly Surround mentioned on the back cover as well, but no specifics. I am away from my copy currently to check how my receiver reads it.

Thanks.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I got my copy today as well! WTF!!! Is anyone complaining to Columbia on this? Who should we contact??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks