1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A League of Their Own SE Announced!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin D, May 8, 2002.

1. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

I was watching Rosie yesterday and Penny Marshall was making her monthly stop by (it seems like it, at least) and they were talking about the 10th anniversary of A League of Their Own. Apparently they are producing a new DVD, since the last one didn't have any participation on Marshall's part. Marshall even showed a deleted scene that will be on the DVD, which is really just an extention of the scene where Madonna and O'Donnell's characters see the guys staring at them. I hope the quality of the scenes is better than what I saw. It was pretty weak on TV, at least on my network affiliate.

But this is great news! I love this movie, and was almost ready to buy the current version, despite the non-anamorphic transfer. But a new DVD will be great.

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

This is good news, I suppose, though I'd much rather have a "Big" Special Edition! [​IMG]

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

4. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    My buddy is in this movie (as a baseball player in the background - as it was filmed nearby during High School) and we will both be picking up the SE DVD when it's available!

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm thrilled. I knew it was a good idea to hold off buying ALotO. I'm also very happy to know that Penny Marshall is specifically involved with the release.

6. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Great News! I'd been itching to pick this one up. I hope it comes out soon!

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Are we *certain*, given Col/TS's habits lately, that this isn't merely going to be a P&S version of the film, rather than a REAL full-blown SE? [​IMG]
    The week I picked up the 16x9 DVD that is currently out, ABC happened to air this film as their movie-of-the-week. The MAR version has some of the harshest pans-and-scans I have EVER seen! [​IMG]

8. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Cool. I'll buy it. As long as they do it right.

9. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

Has anyone tried to watch this in Pan and Scan on TV? I swear, this has to be some of the worst panning and slashing I've ever seen. The current DVD actually has an excellent anamorphic transfer, but zero extras. Even the menus are ugly and generic.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Boy I sure wish that the thread farting would cease around here.

There were two laserdisc releases of this movie; one of them had a documentary on the actual woman's league on which the movie was based. I hope they include this doc in the SE DVD.

- Steve

11. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thank you, Glenn...I couldn't have responded to Steve's comments any better!

Steve, I was merely trying to keep the enthusiasm levels down until we knew something for certain. Penny and Rosie chatting it up on the talk show does not an SE press release make!

13. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I own the reg edition right now. But I would be happy to pick up a Special Edition, ONLY if it's 16x9 again.

And yes David your right, the pan and scanning on this is TERRIBLE!

I use this movie as an example on how bad P&S can be versus 16x9

14. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

Oh, oops, didn't know it was 16x9. My mistake. But, I do believe the new special edition WILL still be widescreen. The deleted scene on Rosie was 2.35:1 widescreen, which was wonderful. If the deleted scenes are widescreen, I do believe there is a strong chance the movie will be, too. I mean, wouldn't be easier to make the deleted scenes P&S if the feature was too? It bodes well for a widescreen release.
    Marshall seemed very eager to participate, saying that the reason the first one was so bare-bones was because the movie debuted before DVD and she didn't keep extra content in mind. However, it does appear it exists. I just think this is so cool. I'll have to pick up a copy for a friend. Her friend was an extra in the film, on one of the women's baseball teams. Her only feature roll! [​IMG]