What's new

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK

A League of Their Own 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Review
League-of-Their-Own-Better-Image.jpg

A League of Their Own hits a ground rule double on Blu-ray.

[review]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never purchased the first blu-ray, but did so with this release. Thanks for the review. By the way, do you like baseball?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I love this film, but can't find any reason to spend money on yet another Blu release when there are so many terrific ones to choose from that I've not bought a first time. Damn these anniversary and divisible-by-five-years editions!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Great review. I've always had an odd feeling about something not quite being right with the film, and don't recall the deletions.

If there was a real desire to recut the film, to be more inclusive, this would have been the perfect time to do so.

And that would have been the perfect rationale, for an otherwise unnecessary new skew.

Last edited:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I do enjoy baseball but tend to prefer basketball and at the right time, college football.
But I definitely enjoy a day at the ballpark.

I believe Penny Marshall regrets the cut sequence, but there's never been any motion toward actually putting it back in the movie. She regrets it, but not THAT much. And I tend to doubt that Sony believes there's enough interest in the title to merit spending any money on it when they can just keep re-releasing the existing cut, as they have multiple times. They could have done a special director's cut in 2004 when they put out the special edition DVD, but they chose not to.

There's a lot of additional footage that was not made available on the DVD, including a LOT more Jon Lovitz material, as I understand it. What we saw on the disc was the best parts of it.

And I can see that RAH is as much a fan of flatware as I am. I love forks and am ever in search of the perfect tine.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I do enjoy baseball but tend to prefer basketball and at the right time, college football.
But I definitely enjoy a day at the ballpark.

I believe Penny Marshall regrets the cut sequence, but there's never been any motion toward actually putting it back in the movie. She regrets it, but not THAT much. And I tend to doubt that Sony believes there's enough interest in the title to merit spending any money on it when they can just keep re-releasing the existing cut, as they have multiple times. They could have done a special director's cut in 2004 when they put out the special edition DVD, but they chose not to.

There's a lot of additional footage that was not made available on the DVD, including a LOT more Jon Lovitz material, as I understand it. What we saw on the disc was the best parts of it.

And I can see that RAH is as much a fan of flatware as I am. I love forks and am ever in search of the perfect tine.

Especially Williamsburg three tines.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Being a fan of the movie, I've always liked it exactly as it played and was oblivious to the fact that an important scene had been deleted. I guess what you don't know can't hurt you!

You made a remark about low bit-rate in the audio section. I though with "lossless" audio, which DTS-HD-MA is, that bit-rate didn't matter. Lossless is supposed to mean complete transparency to the master recording.

And as a post-script, all this time I thought the older Dottie was Geena Davis in old-age makeup! I guess that was pretty good casting.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's much more than a review, Kevin. That's an educational piece on what is a well-worn classic for many providing insights that are likely not very well known.

Thank you for all that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks