Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg

A Lady Takes A Chance Blu-ray Review
Lady-Takes-A-Chance-Poster-1.jpg

It’s a clash of east coast vs. wild west when Jean Arthur and John Wayne meet in this romantic comedy that features a bit of a western flavor. The two leads have great screen chemistry, which more often than not makes up for writing and direction that are content to lean on their appeal. Though the story has few surprises to offer, the two stars make this worth watching.

[review]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank you Bryan and Robert, your feedback really means a lot to me.

I'm glad it came through in the review how much I enjoyed the film and how good the disc looks. I worry sometimes that the numerical ratings might skew someone's impression if it isn't a perfect 5/5, but I'm glad the spirit of what I was trying to say came through. This was a very entertaining film and a very good presentation, and I will definitely be revisiting this now that it's in my collection. It just has that easy charm that lends itself to multiple viewings. My wife, who in general would not be considered the target audience for a western or John Wayne film, read a draft of the review and is now interested in seeing it, so I'd consider that a win too.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great review of A Lady Takes a Chance, Josh! KL's Blu-ray of this film could not have been better timing for me, as I was about to buy a lesser OOP DVD at a higher price. Lady Takes a Chance is one of my favorite Wartime John Wayne films, along with the equally delightful War of the Wildcats / In Old Oklahoma (Olive Blu), Tall in the Saddle (WB DVD), and 1946's Without Reservations (WB DVD), a first class RKO picture with the Duke co-starring with Claudette Colbert and directed here by Mervyn LeRoy. Another fun cross country road trip movie loaded with laughs and a number of choice, surprise celebrity cameos!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank you! I’ve never seen the Wayne films you mentioned but they sound right up my alley - I’ll have to add them to my list for future viewing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Oh you know what, I did see (and enjoy) that one on your recommendation a year or so ago.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Finally got around to watching the Kino blu of this film. What an amazing upgrade from the really poor previous DVD release! The improved image and sound actually made me enjoy this film much more than I ever thought possible...thanks Kino!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks