A Knock on My Door

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roberto Carlo, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

It was the UPS guy with my new SVS PCI 25-31. (22-31?) A bit of a shock since I ordered it on Wednesday and hadn't been notified that it had shipped.
    Still, for that kind of quick service, I'm willing to overlook the lack of a heads up.:wink: Between SVS and Axiom, which also delivered the speakers I ordered in a few days, I've got a lot of setting up to do. Unfortunately, work and parenting means that I'll probably be putting it off until tomorrow or even July 4.
    Actually, I'm sort of in awe of the three boxes containing my new speakers. (Four, if you count the one containing the speaker stands for the M22TIs). Man, HTF is very useful and lots of fun, but if I were in my twenties instead of my forties [​IMG] y'all would bankrupt me.

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

4. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I'm 30 and VISA *loves* me. [​IMG]

5. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    sigh, I'm so jealous [​IMG]
    mine shipped on Tuesday, but it's still "in transit" at Chicago O'Hare. strange, seems to suggest that a 3.5 foot tall package has been sitting in some warehouse for almost a week.
    oh well. no real loss, actually, since the SO and I only just took possession of the new apartment and I haven't had the rest of the new HT gear delivered anyway. what good is a sub without a receiver and the rest of the speakers? [​IMG]

7. DaveDi

DaveDi Auditioning

I'm twenty. Almost bankrupt
    me too. [​IMG]

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    update:
    funny, this. I just got a call from Bax Global. the sub's in Singapore (presumably at their warehouse) and will be delivered tomorrow morning. I have to pay the local sales tax on it, but since it's just 3% that's no big deal. I suppose the online tracking hasn't been updated since it got to O'Hare.
    [​IMG] but I still haven't got a receiver or the other 5 speakers... [​IMG] now what?

9. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

doens't "bankrupt" mean you have NO $$$ or assets, I am worse than that over $120K in debt (grad school) and far far less than that is assets. At least the rates are going down, thanks George Jr!!!

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

11. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    the moment of "truth": I received my new SVS 25-31PCi (tuned to 22) this morning at the office.
    on unpacking it, my first thought was "it's bigger than I expected". I knew it was a bit over 3 ft tall, but the fact that it's 16 inches in diameter doesn't really sink in until you see it "in the flesh". I might still have a WAF problem...
    nice job on packaging, nothing apparently damaged, although the stick-on SVS label had dropped off the side. no big deal, I just stuck it back on.
    I still haven't got my new receiver and speakers, so I was wondering what to do with it -- itching for a test run, if you will. AFAIK, my HTiB at home doesn't have a separate subwoofer output. but looking at my mini-compo system, which is a JVC FS-SD7 (main unit has a nice "flip-top" for access to CD), I noticed an RCA outlet on the back. checking the manual, well, it's a subwoofer output!
    so I hooked it up. since it's music I set the SVS crossover to the max 120Hz, max gain (for now). it was a bit distorted. lowering the gain improved things.
    result: it certainly adds a bit of "slam", or rather "thump" to music. the fact that I'm sitting right next to it (small office [​IMG] ) makes it a bit more visceral, if you know what I mean. I'm going through my stack of CDs to see if there's anything else I can demo on it. at least until my colleague in the office next door complains about the vibrating wall... [​IMG]
    I suppose I can't really say more than that right now, since it's not set up properly in a proper system, and of course I haven't tried any movies with nice big explosions yet (U-571 is top of my "to try" list). but so far so good.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Two different kinds of bankrupt:
    Balance sheet bankrupt/insolvent-you owe more than you have value in assets. A very common situation for new college graduates. not in and of itself a cause for concern for them because the incurred debt will theoretically produce an enhanced income stream to pay off the debts.
    cash flow bankrupt/insolvent-You can't pay your bills as they come due. This is very serious trouble. Note that you can be one kind of bankrupt and not the other. If you're cash flow but not balance sheet bankrupt, you can always sell off some assets to fix things. But if you're both, you're in it deep and probably a candidate for chapter 13 bankruptcy (wage earner) if not chapter 7 (complete liquidation).
    Now, back to speakers.... [​IMG]