1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A job... finally!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Slack, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Yay me!
    Well, not quite so finally... I had to finish up school, then took the summer off, and then had surgery and couldn't drive for a few months, so it wasn't exactally constant hard searching.
    But... my unemployment had run out (it had been a year, total) and I was getting pretty antsy and pretty poor... and then I got two interviews in one day, and just got the semi-official offer (they still need to make sure I'm not a felon, I guess...) tonight.
    My old job was 1.86 miles... this one is 1.87... so it's not much further of a commute. [​IMG]
    Better pay (plus another raise after 6 months), better benefits, less hours and the company actually has a sucessful product and is profitable (this is a big change for me!)
    Most importantly... I can afford to buy DVDs again (and X-Mas presents!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Congrats and good luck with the new job!

Your commute sounds great, almost as good as mine which is less then twenty steps.

Again congrats and good luck with the new job.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

They would expect you to drive an entire additional hundredth of a mile? Unacceptable!

(Best of luck. I hope you tell us you got the offer within another post or two or three.)

4. Bill Slack

Thanks. [​IMG]
    It's with a small company called Snowbound Software (www.snowbound.com)
    I used to work for www.infolibria.com which is currently liquidating (after $110m in VC.)
    Snowbound has been around for ~8 years and made money all of them. The founders have no interest in going public, and just want to be their own bosses and don't want to expose themselves to risk by expanding too fast. They're happy focusing on their core business and making a good living. They don't believe in overtime and products can ship late if that makes them better. They never had a layoff, and there's opportunity for me to be a projector manager or move up any amount in the long run.
    I'll be doing back-end server and UI work in Java which is what I'm experienced with and enjoy. I actually had been so burnt out from my last job (and I'm only 23!) that I considered going to law school and washing my hands of this industry. But the last few months I've finally written some stuff for fun again and discovered I DO still enjoy it when it doesn't dominate my existence.
    Also, I get to stay in Boston. I had reached the point of willing to move, which I wasn't very happy about. I really love this city. I grew up in Western Mass and 90% of the family is within 2hrs too.
    I'm a pretty happy camper right now!

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Dang that's crazy man, 23 and already on your 2nd professional white collar job. I'm the same age as you and struggling to get out of college! And to top it off my commute to campus averages about 45 min each way. [​IMG] I can only dream of being in your position, count your many blessings!
    Just wondering but how did you get involved with this industry? Did you have to get a whole bunch of certifications or was it mostly self-taught stuff you learned in your spare time? Or maybe even an early start at college?

6. Bill Slack

My first program:
    10 PRINT BILLY
    20 GOTO 10
    On my Tandy CoCo 2 when I was in kindergarten. I got an early start. [​IMG]
    I started doing IT consulting when people started paying me for help without me asking. And I've been programming as a living for 3.5yrs, I think.
    All self taught from a few books and interesting problems that I had to solve.
    I've been lucky. But luck is where preparation meets opportunity. It really does feel like I stumble into these things. But I've worked hard, have a bit of a knack for it, and enjoy it.
    I actually only graduated in May (I had been going part-time for awhile; I really didn't enjoy going to class.) It's been a very strange path to where I am, but it's been fun.

7. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Congratulations. The job market sucks right now, my wife has been out of work for over a year [​IMG] I just hope she can find something soon. It's rough getting by one one salary.

8. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Congratulations!

The job market is tough everywhere right now. I was laid off three weeks ago from a small company and just accepted an offer from Expedia.com. I start as the Program Manager for the new corporate travel site on the 16th.

Good luck in your new position!

9. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Cograts Bill! They're located in Waltham?
    An Imaging company...? Guess you're now considered our competition [​IMG]

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Way to go, Bill! [​IMG] I'm still searching for a full time job. Right now, I'm managing to get by working part time as a bartender & waiter at a local country club, but I don't wanna do that forever. I don't even wanna do it until Christmas, but ya do what ya gotta do.

11. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Thats awesome Bill! It's good to hear about programmers getting jobs again. I hope things turn around soon because I also need a job, as well as all my buddies graduating with me. Man, 3 years ago none of us would have had a problem!
    Anyway, hope you have fun over there!

later,
    Marshall