What's new

A.I. Packaging Question (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Hey, is the AI a funky style double slim case with a weird hinge thing for the second disc? I bought one off of ebay and I just wanted to make sure it was the original packaging.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I think Declan meant to say.....
Weird hinge thingie. (I've always had a fondness for the fictitious word "thingie".) :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Anyone have a picture of this "thingie"...and yes, I DO mean the A.I. case!!;)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It's similar, but the hinge is definately weirder than Gladiator, Blade, and Shrek.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What's the big mystery? It's the same style used for "Gladiator," "Shrek," "Blade II," and others that cram two discs into a single-wide keepcase.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
What's the big mystery? It's the same style used for "Gladiator," "Shrek," "Blade II," and others that cram two discs into a single-wide keepcase.
Yes, Malcolm, that's what I was thinking too!
Isn't it simply a 2-disc Amaray? What's different about this? Many releases use the 2-disc Amaray.
Perhaps the "hinged thing[ie]" is different on A.I.; I'm uncertain, even though I have it, because I usually transfer every disc I get into a brand-new Amaray (due to 90% of wrapped-up DVDs having some kind of case defect, which, as we anal-ites all know, is totally unacceptable. :) )

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
The tray for Disc 1 in the A.I. set faces Disc 2, as opposed to the other cases like Gladiator. Plus, it's situated lower inside the case. Shrek is the same way.

Hope that sheds some light. Kind of hard to put into words, and I don't have the ability to post a picture.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The "A.I." case does have a slighly different hinge style, but it's the same idea as the rest. It's the same style used by Anchor Bay for "House/House 2" limited edition (edit: and for "Shrek," as Rob said).

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Have to say, I prefer the Gladiator case. From my experience, you can't fully "turn the page" on the Shrek case to get at the booklet.

Plus, we know the Gladiator case (first use I recall, Disney's Music of the Heart) is manufactured by Amaray. Who makes the Shrek Case? And why do two Dreamworks films even have different cases? Is it a co-studio thing?

Back on my meds,

CS

YANG

Screenwriter
That A.I case was used on the release of CAPE FEAR as well.
FOX dual disc release on selected titles uses GLADIATOR keepcase design.
This design is very common with R4 dual disc releases.

I still prefer dual alphas for dual disc release over the slim version.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I bought Gladiator when it first came out, and it didn't come in a two-disc case. It came in a one-disc case. The second disc was in a plastic paper sleeve, similar to a white Tyvek CD-ROM sleeve, complete with clear round window, only it was black, not white. I've discussed this Gladiator packaging here before, and if I recall correctly, I'm the only one here who ever saw such a thing, and it was speculated that, since I got mine right at the beginning, they may have been having supply problems with the two-disc case, so they used the method I got as a substitution in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks