A.I. - OAR vs. P&S pricing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Lately, one of my early Sunday morning rituals has been to comb the internet and search for the sale prices on new releases. Along with the strictly online e-tailers, I'll compare prices with 2 brick n' mortar stores - Best Buy and Circuit City. I've found that BB & CC compare very favorably with the etailers, if not beating their pricing on new releases.

After midnight, the BB & CC websites change prices to reflect their new weekly deals for dvd's. This morning, my search was for the best deal on A.I. Bestbuy.com listed a price of $19.99 for both widescreen and p&s versions of A.I. Pretty standard.

I expected the same from Circuit City. However, the two different formats for A.I. are accompanied by 2 different prices. On circuitcity.com, the price for the p&s version of A.I. is $17.99. Nice,...best price around, b&m or otherwise. Should be the same price for widescreen. Well, no...

I did a doubletake as I saw a price of $24.99 listed for the widescreen version of A.I. That's a steep, seven dollar difference.

At first, I dismissed this as an anomaly - I'll just get the dvd from best buy. Apparently, CC doesn't want my business. But then I became contemplative...seven friggin' dollar difference?!!! Why? How does CC justify this?

Is this just an anomaly? I've not seen price tiers for different formats anywhere else before, b&m or online. This was the first time.

So, is this just a one-off? Or does this portend a grim trend? Is anyone else familiar with this?

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, as we know, if anything the P&S should cost more. They have to pay the guy who painstakingly transforms the oddly-shaped original image into a properly framed masterpiece to fill Joe's screen. [​IMG]

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Well, I woke up this frozen Sunday morning thinking perhaps Circuit City was slow in listing the new price for widescreen A.I (I've seen this happen before, where the new week, sales pricing is not reflected across the board on their website).
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...3dccity -prod
    Nope...definitely 2 different prices for the 2 formats. Anyone here from CC have any insight why they're charging much more for the widescreen version?
    My sunday paper didn't have the CC circular. Can anyone confirm if CC specifies only p&s version for $17.99?

4. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Sorry Peter, but all the Circuit City ad says here is "low price" next to the release and only show one verison(didn't pay attention to rather it widescreen or pan and scam). Well at least it 20 dollars at Best Buy, now I might be able to pick up Last Castle as well^^.

5. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Since OAR is becoming more popular than P&S studios have found another way to give J6P some incentive to watch them in P&S. So this way, they can make it so that the P&S version sells more and therefore eventually be able to say that there is no need for a Widescreen version anymore.

The corporate world is filled with stupid conspiracies like that!

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This is so messed up that I am left speechless!

:thud:

7. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey

8. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Circuit City hasn't done anything this stupid since DIVX. [​IMG]

10. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Might it be time for a petition or letter writing campaign to CC?

11. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

12. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The madness never ends. I guess we should feel appreciative that they are even putting out the widescreen version [​IMG]
    Bruce

13. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

As near as I can tell, both editions with be the same price on Tuesday. I know, I work at Circuit City. I'll tell you one thing, never EVER go by our website for prices. You unfortunatly have go to the store. With our company trying to be as cutting edge as we are, our website for music/movies SUCKS. Don't worry, you'll see that they will be the same price on Tuesday.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    There's an awful lot of angst & conspiracy theories going on in this thread for what is more than likely a clerical error.
    If I walk into CC on Tuesday and they try to charge me $24.99 for the WS version of A.I., then I'll get upset. Until then, I'm just going to assume some data entry drone didn't realize there were two versions of this title they had to update.

16. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

maybe they are giving a 1/3 discount since there is about 1/3 of the movie cutout. [​IMG]

17. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've sent a terse but polite letter to CC's customer service in regards to the price discrepancy between the 2 formats.

If the $24.99 list price for the widescreen version of A.I. is indeed an error, hopefully my letter will help spot some attention on the problem.

Hopefully the price will change once Monday turns to Tuesday. Adam, if you happen to find out, could you post whether your store sells the widescreen A.I. for $17.99?

18. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

An oddity: CNL.com has the widescreen listed for $25.77, yet the full frame version is $28.82!
    Jason

19. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

Well, let's think about this. Joe Sixpack isn't likely to even watch A.I. It is, after all, an almost-Kubrick movie. Has a 'different' ending, etc. So, I guess they figured they'd better drop the price on the pan-and-scans or they'll never sell them. I mean, would you buy it?

20. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I received a reply from CC to my email asking for reason for the price discrepancy. Apparently the price for the widescreen A.I. of $24.99 is NOT an error.