A.I. Computers any good??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about buying a computer from them today because of the special sale listed on the Deals page. However, I have found some very bad reviews of this vendor. Supposed they they used to be caslled aipc.com.

I have been trying to call them to ask a question on the video card upgrade they offer. They do not answer the phone at all.

They offer an ATI 9800 all-in-wonder card as an upgrade, but it does not indicate that it is the PRO version?

Anyway, although the deal looks great, at 50% off, I think I will have to skip it because it seems their customer service is non existant.

How can a company expect to do business and not answer their phone? [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Glad you posted a thread on this as well, Adam. After a litte research, I believe they were actually www.aipcs.com out of NY somewhere. The NY BBB registered 133 complaints over the last 12 months regarding this company. That is a TON of complaints from my point of view.

Just wanted to make people aware of this.

By the way, here is the BBB link if you are interested in the info: aicomputers.com

3. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, its a shame becasue I was very close on pulling the trigger on a gaming PC. I thought if the forum posted the sale in the deals section that they were OK or prescreened.

Oh well, they still aren't answering the phone.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

We have a good working relationship with that company. Though we've had a couple order problems, they were quickly solved. That's a very good record considering how many people have ordered from them through our links in the past few months already. You can read more here:

http://www.gotapex.com/forums/showth...ighlight=aipcs

In a nutshell, the problem they had before was with a finance company they used. If you read each of the complaints carefully, you'll see they all stem from this. The finance company took the deposits and ran. They've since cut ties with that company, and have even set up a restitution fund.

Right now, the phone lines are down. They're upgrading to a T1, which the phone lines will run though as well. This takes a few days to transition over.

We've been keeping on top of it though, just watching out for our viewers.

5. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Well I guess it was just bad timing then. I needed to ask them a question before I pulled the trigger. And them not aswering the phone definitely swayed me away from them.

I guess I missed the boat on the 50% off, but better safe then sorry.

I would like to here from any forum members that did order from them during this sale and how it went.

Thanks,
    Adam.

6. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Adam,

If you go to the Gotapex forum site there is a pretty long thread going about the deal.

I ordered one. What do I have to lose? If something goes wrong, just call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

You can't put to much stock in the reseller ratings number because you can look at companies like Dell, Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc, and they don't have any better rating than AI.

Neal

7. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Everyone over at Gotapex forums seem to be in the same boat... no real communication on their orders yet...

I'm thinking it's time to bail on this deal myself...

Any differing opinions from you all here at HTF?
    My opinion is it's beginning to stink like a scam unfortunately. [​IMG]

8. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Yea, since my last post here I have decided to cancel my order with AI. I have sent them two cancellations emails and have yet to get a response back.

Just for anyone that might have ordered and doesn't know it, they have a security flaw on their order tracking page that allows anyone with an order # to see anyone else's information. You can't see CC #'s, but you can see addresses, etc. I have deleted all my information.

If I don't get an email response today or get to talk to the AI rep on ICQ, I am calling my CC company and filing a dispute for fraud.

And by the way, as I'm sure it is obvious, the longer they go without shipping any computers, the less this becomes such a great deal, especially depending on your video card choice.

Neal

9. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Just making sure this is visible... off the deals page...
    More information can be found in this thread at the GotApex site. Scroll down on the page to post #966 by Apex, where he explains they have closed shop.

Oh well, guess I'll wait on my upgrade after all [​IMG]