A Horizons Beta Review

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SarahG, Dec 8, 2003.

1. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

I was a beta tester in a game called Horizons that we were talking about a few months back..I wanted to share my thoughts and some screenshots as well that will helppeople get a feel for what certain elements in the game are like, such as the crafting and building interfaces and combat moves.

This game has GREAT potential, and most of the people that I played with and grouped with in game had a blast doing so and have every intention of purchasing it. In fact...we all cannot wait to meet up again in game as beta sadly ends....but thats another thought.

I spend most of my time as a warrior/blacksmith/outfitter female human (with black hair and nice looking bod I might add!!!), I did not have a tremendous amount if time to be able to explore all the classes-so i decided to just focus on a few. I concentrated on getting my skills in blacksmithing/outfitter to be able to get up and going in making tools/armor/weapson..as well as being able to get set up in the economy by making much armor for others to use...so that I could get money. In fact that was one of my more favorite parts of the game, making items, selling them, then getting money once bought from consignement and purchasing better techniques and tools that allowed for me to become stronger at what I did.

Some people in beta have mentioned multiple CTD problems..but to be honest, that never really happenned to me but twice..and that was in some of the early versions from the summertime. Perhaps its my computer.

To graphics loading, I have the similar response..I never had grey graphics or white graphics (although a friend of mine did...must be computers again..i don't know though cause I am not that versed in that area).

To the lag issue...it was there. In places worse then others..but never to me unplayable, and something that from reading recent interviews by the developement, am confident that it will be overcome.

All in all- I am buying this game and playing it when it comes out. I cannot wait.

This is everyone standing out at the consignement shop in newbie town!:

http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image001.jpg

This is a plot of land that you can buy and build on:

http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image009.jpg

Here is the blacksmithing area:

http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image011.jpg

Aughundell..the Dwarven Race Capital
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image042.jpg

Dragon Race Town
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image040.jpg

The clock in The Dwarven Race Capital
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image038.jpg

Me and My Cargo Disk Mining outside of Aug (great place to mine!!!)
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image034.jpg

Some Ruins
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image031.jpg

The Beach
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image029.jpg

Fighting Lesser Zombie Warrior
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image026.jpg

Special Attack Animation
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image024.jpg

Fighting Z little Maggot
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image022.jpg

Undead Spawn out of Sslanis
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image020.jpg

Town taken over by the Undead/Withered Aegis
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image016.jpg

The streams in Tazoon
    http://www.media-file.net/images/h/image004.jpg

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Sarah - Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Horizons beta. I, on the other hand, hated it. I think that it's one of the worst MMORPGs I've ever played. Personally, I don't care about crafting. Combat is what makes a game for me and the combat in Horizons is BORING! I may be a little spoiled since the MMORPG I've played the most is DAoC and it has a very fun combat system IMO but the combat in Horizons needs a major overhaul just to make it mildly interesting.

This game shouldn't have been released. It just may make the release of Anarchy Online look good. If you scan the official forums, there are far more negative views of the game than positive. I'm disappointed in what's happened to Horizons since I thought that it had a lot of promise. It may be a good game eventually, but I don't see that happening for at least 6 months.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Thanks for the impressions Sara and Tim.

How did the game run for the both of you? Framerate solid? Able to run on pretty high settings? I am debating whether or not to pick this up tommorrow. Though I have plenty of reservations I make it a point to try all MMO's out there at least once. I was looking into playing a dragon but from what I've read they are horribly underpowered (DAMMIT I WANT TO FLY!)

I've recently went back to the "one that started it all" (my addiction that is) so to speak. Bought the Trials Of Atlantis expansion pack for DAOC and well, its just damned glorious to be playing again (and the new areas are drop dead gorgeous). I want to add a second one to break the monotony as I usually keep two MMO's on board at a time. After the disappointing FFXI I'm looking at Horizons but I have reservations...

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The game ran OK for me but throughout most of the beta the lag was very bad. Toward the end of beta it did improve but it was still bad for me in the cities when there were a lot of people. I didn't try running the game on anything higher than 1024x768 since I don't think my system would handle it. The graphics are definitely nothing special and I think that they're poor compared to DAoC.

Dragons were nerfed toward the end of beta. Lots of people were very unhappy with that.

Horizons, IMO, is a MMORPG for crafters. I don't see why anyone would play it for the combat. Since you're used to DAoC, I don't think that you'd like the combat at all. The combat in DAoC is mostly about crowd control and controlling aggro. Neither of these really exist in Horizons. I only played melee characters during the Horizons beta and the combat is very boring for melee. Click on mob and then click on "Attack". Wait for the battle to finish. That about sums it up. Sure there are special attacks and stances but none of them seemed to do a whole lot. It also didn't seem to matter what weapon damage type (slash, crush, etc.) I was using. Crush should work better against skeletons than slash but I didn't notice any discernable difference.

There are many more problems with this game but I won't go into them since they can be found on the message boards. I wanted to like Horizons but I just can't in it's current state. I'm currently thinking about going back to DAoC once again.

5. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Sarah-

You don't happen to work for the company that produced this game do you?

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Picked the game up today.

Haven't really played much, only played some of the tutorial stuff and certainly its not enough to begin to speak about the game. Thus far the crafting seems really interesting and I like the opening setup. Noted no lag at all in moving through the world and performance so far is great (running at 1280X960 with graphics details set to high and 2XAA and 4XAF). Currently residing on the Dawn roleplay server.

On the subject of launch, from the point of installing, to registering my account, creating a character and getting into the gameworld it all took about 10 minutes. Completely seamless, easy to do what needed to be done and only a 2-3mb patch to start with. Again I can't comment on the game but excellent job and a kudos to Artifact Entertainment for a great launch!

7. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

8. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Tim- Sorry to hear that your beta experience was less then pleasant..but luckily that is why there are so many choices and genres out there so that people can find the right fit..maybe for yu that will be in WoW or UXO...I liked the game because for me it was a fun community to be in. I liked the crafting a lot and making money..but I also had fun going out hunting in groups..for me I think that the combat became more of a fun social interaction where I was able to go out and play around with other people and friends and talk..ya know...

Rom..I must admit, I am no computer guru..the game ran fine for me. As I said I had some beta friends who would get really bad lag and constant CTD and memleaks as well as slow loading graphics..I honestly think that I only had maybe 3 CTDs..and often times that was because I had other programs running as well while I was playing (at least thats what I think...)

Anyways..I just got the game and loaded onto my computer...I had no problem getting on in the first try..which was refreshing to say the least. I played for about two hours, but had to take a RL break. Gonna get back on later and hope that some of my crafting items have been bought so that I can go shopping!!!

Rom...I totally agree with the Kudos to a great lauch...after the end of beta and reading boards and past launches for MMOs I was a tad bit nervous...but like you I think the time from load to reg. to in game was about 10-15 minutes..which is nothing at all IMO...

Let me know what you think of the game as you get in or if you need any advice since I have been in beta for a while.

9. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

10. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

There are definitely a lot of mixed feelings on Horizons. I really did want to like it but to me it just wasn't fun. I don't play MMORPGs to just socialize and I don't like crafting. I'm all about killing stuff. [​IMG] One of my friends did decide to buy the actual game just to try it out and he's gonna keep me posted with his thoughts. I might try it eventually.

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    5 years and every game thats 'Gonna kill everquest' has been a dud. I've got high hopes for EQ2 but I'm not even sure Sony can outdo themselves, based on how ho hum SWG was.

Sam

13. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Yeah Tim..there are definately a lot of mixed feelings. I will tell you that I got the game on the first day...it was VERY smooth getting into it and the lag on my computer at least was non-existent. I do think that what this game is about is great and that it will turn out to be a long living game...if you have some free time, I would definately try out the new game on your friends account.

14. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I played DAOC for 3 months at launch. It was sooooooo boring and repetive to me.... =) If you enjoyed it, great! More power to ya, not trying to take anything away from you on that. But you have to admit that DAOC with a 3 year newer engine and having the opportunity to 'fix' all the things people hated about EQ at the time hasnt come even close to either critical or commercial success that EQ has.... Hell, EQ was making millions just on name changes! =)

I hear its better now, and so is AO. But IMO both lost their chance at greatness by being so off at launch.

DAOC was solid technologically at launch but had nothing fun to do.

AO had tons of fun stuff to do at launch but was a disaster technology wise.

When will game makers get the word that you have to have BOTH at launch?

Sam

16. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I have played EQ quite a bit from launch and now with all the released expansions and I while I didn't/don't find the game very enjoyable (in fact I find its combat system downright dull and snore inducing compared to DAOC's) I respect its affect on the industry and MMO's in general. I do think I need to comment on something though...

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

20. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

"Sarah - I'm still watching the Tazoon boards to see how things are going. "

Sounds good Tim! Glad to hear it. I think they have gotten a lot more positive as of late..except for the occasional person who complains about not know how to get it loaded or that they can't get in the game..still don't get that since i got up and going in 20 minutes..oh well.

"Hopefully the lag problems have gotten better."

From what I have personally expericenced...as well as if you read the threads at Tazoon that Tim was talking about you will see that people all in all have said that lag has improved.