What's new

A Hi-Def multi-switch? (1 Viewer)

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Hey guys,

My HD-ready TV (SONY HS-10) only has 1 HD input and I really need 3(!)...one for my progressive scan DVD, One for my XBOX, and one for a DirecTV HD box...

Any ideas how I would get this working without hassle? I really don't want to have to manually switch the inputs (I will if I HAVE to) - but it would be nice if this can be done automatically...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Mike

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
There are two well-regarded switches. The one I have made by Zektor is 4 in, 1 out and controlled by remote. Each input has component video in, and the following audio inputs: audio analog (R and L) in, optical digital in, and cable digital in. The unit also switches optical digital to cable digital so that either input can be used with either output. I use this switcher, and it works perfectly. It is not cheap though, at $299.

The other alternative many people use is the Audio Authority 4 in 1 out switcher. This one is "auto sensing" and will automatically pick the "active" input. There is no other control, and it doesn't switch any audio. Some people love this switch, and others hate the auto sensing which for them doesn't work. It is much less expensive. If I remember correctly, it is about $150.

The last alternative is to use a receiver for all the video switching. Many receivers will switch component, but most have only 2 inputs with 1 output.

There is a lot more about switchers and an active thread about them going on at

www.avsforum.com

in the HDTV hardware forum.

SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks