What's new

A Heads Up for Film Noir Fans- IMPACT! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just got in my copy of Alphas Impact, the Brian Donlevy film noir and , believe it or not, its actually quite watchable.
having been burned before by these el cheapo PD lables, i'm very wary of any positive reviews, but i ran across one for this title on another forum and i have to concur.
while it may not be up to the vaunted standards set by WB on their vintage titles, its definitely not too shabby.
decent grey scale, contrast. blacks could probably be a bit deeper and i can't comment too much on the print since i haven't actually sat down to watch the whole film yet, but from stepping thru the chapters, i'm quite happy with the purchase.
and i've always like the film too.

a very solid $6 purchase

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up Paul. I've picked up a few of the Alpha releases recently, including Impact!, but haven't had time to watch much of anything lately. Glad to hear that this one gets the job done.

- Walter.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Argh. Picked up the Image version a couple of weeks ago which was a tad more expensive. Good movie anyway! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Paul,
I always liked this movie so thank you for the heads up on the dvd and it's quality.

Crawdaddy

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
two more Alpha titles that are supposed to be decent are
Lady Gangster ('42)
and Kansas City Confidential.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Let us know how the Blonde Ice disc is - it's on my to-buy list. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: Kansas City Confidential. I have the Image release from a few year back, and it is serviceable. Assuming the Alpha release uses the same master, it is worth picking up, but (as Paul mentioned earlier) don't expect Warner Bros. quality.

Seeing as how there are a number of titles released by Image, Kino, Alpha, etc. I do wonder how often the same transfers are utilized on these releases. (???)

- Walter.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
For anyone whose interested, I picked up Alpha's DVD of Lady Gangster and I just did a quick scan, but it looks pretty good. The image is a little soft but it is a above average transfer for a PD title.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The PQ is, well, not Warners standard! Pretty dark with poor contrast, but watchable, with not an enormous amount of dirt and damage.

Having said that the trailer is in jaw-droppingly poor condition. Decent extras, however (for a VCI) disc including a very fetching postcard of Leslie Brooks.

---
So many films, so little time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks