What's new

A Hard Day's Night Priced at Amazon..... (1 Viewer)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I'm not sure if this is old news or I didn't notice it before, but Amazon has a list of $29.99 for AHDN and $20.99 is their price. No date listed yet, but is this a hint it is finally coming soon?

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I remember hearing that June 3rd was the date for the UK release, so I was hoping June 4th we would get it....
doesn't look good:frowning:

Jason_H

Second Unit
I think it has been like that for a long, long time. I actually ordered this title waaaaaaaaaaay back when it was supposed to come out in March 2001...I ordered in January. I used one of their old, great $10 coupons so I have not cancelled my order. It is still sitting there waiting for the disc to be released and shipped. But I want my good deal!!!

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Is this new release any different than the original DVD?
I own the original so if it's the same I'd like to know. :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I am still worried that AHDN will be pushed back to 2004 so the can slap a 40th Anniversary sticker on it.

Am I the only one that wishes they (the Beatles) would do an SE of Help!? It's the movie that got me hooked on the Beatles in the first place.

Jason_H

Second Unit
The new release is supposed to be a completely new special edition. This would include a new transfer from the restored print that was theatrically re-released last year. I have also heard it would include the original remastered mono track, a new 5.1 mix, and also a "scream" track which would allow people to hear what it was like to see this in a theater at the height of Beatlemania. And perhaps documentaries, commentaries, etc.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Am I the only one that wishes they (the Beatles) would do an SE of Help!? It's the movie that got me hooked on the Beatles in the first place.
The OOP MPI disc is excellent given the awful conditions the film was in. Until Paul Rutan restored Help!, the film was technically a lost film. The restored version has perfect color, IMO, but has some rough spots. The original negative was used for most of the restoration, but some scenes were taken from an interpositive. All the optical shots (any scenes with on-screen text) were lost, so only the optical negatives could be used (with the text already on them). I emailed Rutan a few months ago and asked about the opticals...in 1994, when the film was restored, digital restoration was not yet as advanced or cheap enough for Help! I don't know if Rutan has any plans to do more restoration on the opticals (the only parts which really need any restoration...the rest of the film looks great) but the technology IS here now.

As for the film parts which were used...

The scenes with a very low grain level and a very clean appearance are from the o-neg. The shots with mild, but not heavy grain and a very clean appearance are from the interpositive. The shots with a soft appearance, plenty of dirt and other artifacts, and very grainy are from the optical negatives. The sound was taken from a faded, but in generally good shape 35mm print with optical sound. That was digitally cleaned up and then remixed into stereo by overdubbing the CD master tracks from the album.

The entire movie had to be YCM "color combined" because the elements had faded so badly.

The current transfer is excellent (no edge enhancing, no digital artifacts to speak of, and a fully open matte transfer) with an ok soundtrack.

As for AHDN, Miramax was able to locate a better sound source than the track Paul Rutan used. Miramax's image is exactly like the original Rutan restoration, but the sound is remixed from a 1964 magnetic soundtrack (dialogue and sound effects), the isolated sound effects and music track, and the AHDN album song masters. The first soundtrack was from the 1981 re-release soundtrack (which sounds bad, but it was the best around in 1994), with the CD tracks dubbed in at the right times. Dubbing in the music wasn't a bad idea, in fact. The original release had the Beatles lip-synching to the album music (instead of being recorded live) anyways.

I'd definately like new DVD's for AHDN and Help!...plus an SE of Magical Mystery Tour with a digital restoration (the current disc looks awful)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Dubbing in the music wasn't a bad idea, in fact. The original release had the Beatles lip-synching to the album music (instead of being recorded live) anyways.
The songs on A Hard Day's Night are also different on the album than in the film. The mono versions, which have some different vocal takes and different mixing (the double-tracking on "And I Love Her" and "If I Fell" for instance), were used on the original AMC airing and the Miramax theatrical version. This correctly relfects the original theatrical release, as the mixes sent to United Artists to use in the film were done weeks before the album was mixed for stereo. The MPI DVD used the stereo album versions.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I preordered AHDN from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. When I looked for an expected delivery date, it was listed as January, 2003. I emailed them and the response was that the release date kept being changed and that the studio was just saying before 2009 now, but that Amazon expected it to be released much sooner, but had no firm grip on as to when.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the new A Hard Day's Night, I wish it were possible someway somehow to release The Compleat Beatles to DVD. This is the single best documentary I've ever seen of the greatest band of all time.

And what about The Beatles Anthology? Any approximate idea when this may appear?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The other obvious issue with the stereo music tracks on the earlier MPI AHDN DVD was that it omitted some foley effects taking place during the musical numbers . Apparently, they did not have an isolated effects track to mix with the stereo album tracks.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks