A Hard Day's Night: No 2.0 stereo track?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I just recieved my A Hard Day's Night DVD (Miramax) and I noticed the 2.0 stereo track isn't there.

Was this removed before release? I don't really mind the ommision much, but I just wanted to know if it's a defect.

I find the 5.1 track a lot better than the older AMC version...the dialogue fidelity is light years ahead of the old track!

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Nope, there is no 2.0 stereo track. There should have been the original mono track in addition to the 5.1, but it's not there either.

The film does sound better in my system if I tell the processor to play it in 2-channel stereo mode. The extreme (too extreme, IMO) differences in the levels between the dialogue scenes and the musical numbers appears reduced this way, bringing the sound of the film closer to the original. The reprise of "Can't Buy Me Love" is the only instance where the film sounds the way it did on the original release prints. I wish the DVD had that audio option. But it's still a great disc.

3. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

The mono mix is on the original MPI release, which is why I'm keeping my copy.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Are there two audio tracks on the MPI release, both stereo and mono? I know there stereo one is on there, because it's missing the foley effects during many of the songs (this is the same as the reissue 35mm prints from 1982) and is different from the mono mix.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Patrick,

What did you think of the audio in the concert sequence? I was disappointed by the artificial (to my ears) "theater acoustic" effect that was applied to this scene.

Does anybody know why the mono track was left out?

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I thought the audio during the concert sequences was excellent. The acoustics were very theater-like and I liked how the screaming fans were finally there in the track. Mid-way through Tell Me Why, I suddenly thought about this being a concert because of the sound.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The MPI DVD is not mono and is actually further from the original theatrical sound than the fake stereo parts of the new 5.1 mix due to the absence of foley effects, the use of the stereo album mixes of the music, and some different edits. Same goes for the Criterion amd MPI laserdiscs.

The definitive AHDN on optical disc still eludes us.

Regards,