What's new

"A Hard Day's Night" 50th Anniversary restoration Criterion blu-ray confirmed... (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tony, thanks for sharing the article, that was great. One quote stood out to me, for reasons having little to do with the movie:"“The movie was shot in a 1.66:1 frame, which would have been pretty common for a black-and-white film of that vintage,” Becker says."Has no one ever given the Criterion president the mountains of documentation that prove that 1.66:1 wasn't a standard ratio anywhere by the time the movie was shot? I love 99% of the work Criterion does, but I just don't get how they can be so glib about repeating demonstrably false information over and over.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Even so, I think the first scene sounds better with the audience screams. For some reason, it doesn't sound right without them.

Regardless, any version of the film, including Criterion's is better than the Miramax version. That one was the worst. Who told Martin Lewis it was a good idea to butcher the soundtrack, by adding fake echoes?

Here's the funny thing: I was reading an Amazon review of the Miramax DVD, and someone called Martin Lewis a "Self-proclaimed Beatles expert and all-around media w***e".

I think that's a very fitting description of Martin Lewis.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Even so, I think the first scene sounds better with the audience screams. For some reason, it doesn't sound right without them.

Regardless, any version of the film, including Criterion's is better than the Miramax version. That one was the worst. Who told Martin Lewis it was a good idea to butcher the soundtrack, by adding fake echoes?

Here's the funny thing: I was reading an Amazon review of the Miramax DVD, and someone called Martin Lewis a "Self-proclaimed Beatles expert and all-around media w***e".

I think that's a very fitting description of Martin Lewis.
Hi Vahan!

While adding extra sounds that weren't previously included within a Film's original released soundtrack would normally bother me, it really doesn't in this case. That Richard Lester himself had much input regarding the Audio Tracks, speaks volumes in my opinion. Besides, if a Film isn't going to be issued in its original form, the Director's original vision should be, at the very least, the next best thing!

CHEERS!

Tony

Filmdoctor

Grip
Real Name
Paul Rutan Jr
You guys just don't get it. The picture is still not preserved. A 4K scan is not preservation. Nor is a color session a restoration.ask yourself, where does it live after it's finished? The negative needs an Estar Fine Grain. One day they are going to make a crystal ray or something that doesn't exist now. And they will find that the original neg is a hockey puck. All they will have is a dupe of the reel 1 and 10. If they are on Estar Based Stock. The 1964 Fine Grain is already exhibiting signs of Vinegar Syndrome. I can't imagine how they archived the audio.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Last night, I treated myself to a fresh New Year's Eve viewing of this stellar, Criterion edition, followed by the 1994 YOU CAN'T DO THAT: THE MAKING OF A HARD DAY'S NIGHT hour long documentary, hosted by Phil Collins! It occurs to me, that Phil never did give us the answer regarding whether he got paid for his extra work or not! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks