"A Hard Day's Night" 50th Anniversary restoration Criterion blu-ray confirmed...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by lukejosephchung, Feb 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. atcolomb

atcolomb Supporting Actor

Angelo
    It's nice to see A Hard Day's Night, Help, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine out on blu-ray but no Let It Be? I know there is lots of talk why it has not been release but i hope one day soon it will happen. The only good source to see the movie is on laserdisc and it sells a big amount on Ebay.

2. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Be patient regarding "Let It Be"...according to director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the restoration and compilation work are already completed and awaiting final approval from the surviving Beatles and Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison...it should happen this calendar year... :D

Jack K likes this.
  3. moviepas

moviepas Supporting Actor

Let it Be & A Hard Days Night were two films I saw in city theatres on first release. I was lucky to get family passes thru radio quizzes then. Enjoyed them both then and will now on Blu Ray. I believe Let it Be had a short run on DVD but I never saw it.

Talking about soundtracks and master tapes etc(EMI used to have their archive tapes rewound every six months to retard print-thru. Not sure what happens to them these days), I received this week a Blu Ray Audio containing two 1950s LPs with Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong. There are extensive notes and the original LP cover notes for Verve Records(once taken over from Norman Granz by MGM Records, now owned by UMG) and audio playback options. Opens up many possibilities.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Let It Be has never been on DVD (or blu-ray). It was released on laser disc, VHS and CED in the 1980s.

Michael Lindsay-Hogg said about four years ago he expected the film to be released on DVD in 2013. That didn't happen. There's a Let It Be thread here on HTF with more info.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    If you want to see the possibilities of Bluray audio, then look no further than Neil Young's "Archives Volume One" discs, then imagine "The Beatles Anthology" updated to bluray in a similar fashion. It's sad that more artists aren't ripping off his idea, he's truly ahead of the curve on this bluray audio front.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  6. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    In 1994, I saw with my own two Beatle-seeking eyes an MPI Video poster in the Tower Video store in Bellevue, Washington, that said "Let It Be" was coming soon, on VHS and Laserdisc. "Finally", I thought.

7. DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    I hope the remix turns out better than The Concert for Bangladesh, the Original 4 track was great then theremix on the DVD and CD sounds terrible to me.

8. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    His bank balance is certainly ahead of the curve.

I love NY's music, but the price of the box on Blu-ray currently runs at over £300 in the UK.

Steve W

9. James_Garner

James_Garner Stunt Coordinator

James Garner
    You can buy each individual blu-ray of the archives set separately at Neil's site: http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com/music-1/blu-ray.html

Yorkshire likes this.
  10. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Normally, I'm the guy who deduces these things, but this time I need to ask a question.How did Janus and Criterion get a hold of A HARD DAYS' NIGHT? This is not to complain; they'll do a fantastic job on it! I'm just surprised because it seemed that AppleCorps and what was left of EMI were doing their best to snap up all the Beatles films, and since the Walter Shenson estate controlled AHDN and HELP! for decades, and HELP! got picked up by Apple, my reasoning was that eventually they would get AHDN once Miramax's license expired. I can't think that Janus offered more money, because it would seem Apple (and, now, Universal Music) would throw down ridiculous sums to get this back.Just curious. Otherwise, eagerly awaiting this new release of one of my desert island favorites!

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    From what I can find, Walter Shenson Films passed to Bruce A. Karsh after Shenson's death. The original MPI DVDs of A Hard Day's Night and Help! list copyright under "1964 Walter Shenson Films" for AHDN; "Walter Shenson Films/Subafilms" for Help!. The later Apple/Capitol edition of Help! replaces Walter Shenson Films with "Bruce A. Karsh". Subafilms seems to be an alternate name for Apple Films (listed directly for Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be). I've also seen photos from AHDN credited to Karsh in recent years. Wikipedia says he's a billionaire philantropist, so buying the rights to two Beatles films isn't exactly a bad investment.

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    News of the restoration is great. Hopefully Criterion does a good job with this one. Apple's Blu-rays of Help! and The Magical Mystery Tour both look miserable.

13. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I'm hoping Dick Lester's 'Running Jumping and Standing Still' short is offered as an extra. Goons forever......

14. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    How so. They look good to me.

15. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Help! has a far too electronic look for my tastes, with a liberal use of digital tools that removed detail and grain and introduced edge halos and jaggies. The master was likely optimized for the DVD release a few years ago. Magical Mystery Tour is a smeary mess that lacks any detail or definition. The outtakes on the disc's extras, despite some dirt and specs, actually look pretty damn good in comparison. Additionally, the live action coda to Yellow Submarine is also a DNR'd mess. Apple Corp. doesn't seem to understand the way film is supposed to look. For that reason, I'm hoping they weren't heavily involved in A Hard Day's Night's restoration.

16. lukejosephchung

Luke J. Chung
    We apparently have a street date for the blu-ray/DVD...Criterion/Janus will release it on July 22nd, as it's being released in the UK on the 21st!!! :dance:

17. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I wonder if they'll be using the same transfer. If so, I guess extras will be the clincher....

18. lukejosephchung

Luke J. Chung
    This is a COMPLETELY NEW restoration from o-negs using 4k technology...

19. Didier R

Didier R Stunt Coordinator

Have you got a link to that info?

20. lukejosephchung

Luke J. Chung
    http//www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/76087