What's new

A hard choice between paradigm and psb (1 Viewer)

WilliamBerriel

Auditioning
So I've narrowed what I want down to the paradigm studio line and the PSB Stratus line. I've listened to PSB Stratus mini's and Paradigm Studio 20's. I've found a sweet local deal on psb Stratus Bronze's, but I haven't had a chance to listen to them. Upon comparing the studio 20's to the stratus mini's, I found that they were comparable, with the 20's perhaps being slightly more muddled, but with a bit more energy and feeling to them. The Stratus Mini's were lighter, slightly more transparent, and slightly behind in bass power. I'm really trying to decide between Studio 20's with maybe a Paradigm sub of some sort, PSB Stratus Bronze's, and perhaps Studio 60's. I could probably swing listens of all such systems, but does anybody see one of the systems maybe being significantly outmatched by the others, saving me a rather long trip to listen to them (by way of public transportation). I listen to mostly heavy rock music, Stone Temple Pilots and SoundGarden, some harder stuff like TOOL, and some light stuff like jazz and college rock like Dispatch and OAR. The room would be small, like 8x10 feet or so.

Any feedback on these would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Having auditioned the Stratus Mini, Stratus Silveri and Stratus Goldi, and owning the latter, my impression is that the Stratus Mini is one of the best commercial speakers for its price. What struck me was its clarity and precise imaging. In these 2 aspects, I found that it outperformed even the Silveri and Goldi. However, it lacks the dynamic range and bass of its floorstanding siblings.

I haven't heard the Paradigm Studio/20's, but I've heard the Studio/80s and frankly I was quite disappointed with them, but then again the Studio/80s have always been considered the black sheep of the Paradigm Studio series.

If you're looking for a commercial bookshelf speaker for that price, I'd recommend the Stratus Mini in a heartbeat. Be sure to get stands for them though, as they're actually standmounters rather than bookshelves

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
That is a decision that you will have to make by yourself. They are both great speakers. If I were to tell you one or the other it would be MY personal opinion only. That being said, I am a fan of Paradigm myself.

GuyL

Grip
I just returned my Studio 40's today because they were a little shrill at louder volumes in my room. I haven't been able to audition the Stratus line yet, but am interested in the Stratus Bronze. Sihan, how would you characterize male vocals and midbass on the Stratus line? I'v read posts from a couple of different people saying both are a little recessed. I'm looking for a speaker with a powerful punchy sound, big soundstage and a smooth top end.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well, I auditioned every Stratus speaker in the line, except the Stratus Bronze, so I couldn't tell you how it sounds...the Stratus Silveri however had a nice punchy midbass that you might be looking for. It doesn't extend very low though. The Stratus Goldi had a fuller bass with more volume, courtesy of its 10" woofer, but it was still tight. As for the Bronze, I really don't know...

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Guy:
I've owned a rair of Stratus Bronze for a little over a year. In my opinion, they have a very smooth, even frequency response although they do seem to be a bit recessed in the upper mid-range compared to my Thiel cs .5 speakers. However, removing the PSB's grills reduces this effect. On the other hand, I find the highs of the Bronze to to be smoother and more natural than the Thiels. Mid bass is good (reasonably well defined and tight)- about equal to the Thiels. Both speakers (and others I have used in this room) can sound a bit bass heavy on some male speaking voices but I think that has more to do with the characteristics of the room (or the source) than the speakers.
The PSBs can play quite loud in my modest size 200 cubic foot room without turning harsh. I listen to a fair amount of large scale orchestral music, organ music, some heavy rock, and electronic music and the PSBs handle the more demanding material more effectively and with less apparent distortion and/or harshness than other speakers I have owned in their size/price range. Bass extension is also excellent - with room reinforcement, the speakers provide useable response down to 30 Hz or so.

Hope this is of some help. I'll be glad to try to respond to any questions you may have.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks