What's new

A great-sounding CD: The Doobie Brothers *Greatest Hits*! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I picked up The Doobie Brothers Greatest Hits CD at Wal-Mart over the weekend for just $9.88, and it is one great-sounding disc. If you like The Doobie Brothers, you must get it. To be clear, I am talking about the 20-track compilation that came out last year. It's discs like this one that make me mad that so many CDs sound like garbage. Over the weekend, I also picked up The Essential Howard Jones, another recent Warner Music compilation, and it sounds incredibly digital in comparison to The Doobie Brothers disc. I put in the Howard Jones disc and found the vocals to be glassy. The digital glare is there in full force. Then I put in The Doobie Brothers disc and was immediately thrilled by what I heard. It's nice to be able to "Listen to the Music" without focusing on the recording. :)
Most of the Howard Jones tracks are from the '80s and are probably derived from digital masters. Of course, most of The Doobie Brothers tracks are from the '70s and are derived from analog masters. I wonder if that explains the difference in sound quality or if the relative quality of remastering is the issue here. Perhaps it's a bit of both.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
As a sidenote, I have the DCC gold CD version of The Best of the Doobies but have not yet compared it to Greatest Hits. That should make for an interesting comparison.

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

I'm interested in hearing your comments if you have finished your comparison of these 2 cd's. Thanks.

Jerry

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the 'heads up' on this... Looking at the songs on this disc over at Allmusicguide is very impressive. For $10 you can't go wrong, Rhino has been releasing some good re-masters in the past couple of years.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
The catalog number for the Rhino Doobie Brothers Greatest Hits CD is "R2 74386". Here is a link to the CD on CDNOW so you can see the cover art:
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver...ITEMID=1413770
Note that CDNOW sells the cassette for more than I paid for the CD at Wal*Mart! Wal*Mart has selected CDs on sale for $9.88 a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how long the sale was slated to run.
Jerry,
I haven't had a chance to compare the two Doobie Brothers CDs yet. I've just been too busy.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
now if they'd put this out in dvd-a that'd be cool especially to hear black water in 5.1

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Keith,

When you have the opportunity, please share your thoughts regarding a comparison of the DCC gold CD and the new release. I have the gold master, and would love to know if it's worth an upgrade.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip,

The Captain and Me DVD-Audio disc is on my wantlist. Now that Warner has dropped the price, I might have to grab it. The Paul Simon and Eric Clapton DVD-Audio discs interest me too.

Scott,

I'll share my thoughts on the two discs as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks