What's new

a great book for film buffs (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I got a book called 'Conversations with Wilder' by Cameron Crowe for Xmas, and just wanted to recommend this to anyone who has any interest in Billy Wilder or his films whatsoever. I've only just begun reading it, but so far I'm finding it very informative and very funny.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Cool, George, I'll have to look for that one!
I know I'm going to get burned for this, but I hope Crowe is a better biographer than director. :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Well, perhaps I was tainted by the fact that this book was done by Cameron Crowe (yes, there are moments where you can feel his imprint), but I enjoyed it a lot. It's very informal and is entirely made up of interview transcripts. For that reason, I wouldn't consider it a "biography" (as most people seem to classify it). But you can tell that Crowe obviously loves and studies Wilder's work, and he manages to bring out a great number of anecdotes from Wilder. I loved reading the thoughts of two writers of romantic comedy talk about the reasons why these films "work" or don't.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'll definately be looking into finding this book.

On the Cameron Crowe issue, Almost Famous was the best IMO and Vanilla Sky was a surprise for me, I'm one of the few that liked it. I thought Singles was below average and don't get me started on Jerry Maguire .

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sounds interesting. I'll see if my local library has it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks