What's new

A Good Year - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had a real good time with this film (regardless of the lukewarm reviews it's getting from the critics), and there is such a charm and light touch to the humor and spirit that evolves out of this tale featuring Max (A reteaming of Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott featuring a lead character named Max, what were the odds of that?), a lead stock/bond manager in England with a snarky competitive bent, who comes to learn that making money isn't everything in life after he returns to his now deceased uncle's French chateau (Max was the only living known relative at the time of death, and thus inherited the chateau as there were no changes in his will for over 20 years) with the primary purpose to sell off the property, but encounters not only the fond memories of his childhood spent at the chateau, but re-discovers the worth of love and simply living from moment to moment.

Ridley Scott amazes me with not only the breadth of films he's done in his career, but the deftness he shows with each genre. This film had some terrific pacing, and its 2 hour running time just flew by, with many funny bits interspersed from a colorful cast of characters that were fleshed out enough to be believable in their words and actions.

I give this film 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Sorry, I agree with the critics. It's a tired rehash of several other mid-life crises movies of the past. From the moment it started you knew how it would end. Sometimes that's okay so long as the ride is fun, but this ride was lifeless. Much of it felt like a discussion on real estate. Any attempts at twists didn't elicit a "how will this effect things?" reaction, but rather a "oh, so that's going to end up this way" assumption which is proven right.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm still going to see this film (or get it on DVD) because of my recent experience in France, which mirrored a lot of what is shown on the trailer (especially the "They're BOTH D3!!!" scene) :D While making nowhere near the money Crowe's character does, I found myself drawn to the simpler way of life that I was exposed to in the small villages in the south of France.

I'm a Ridley fan, and I don't mind Crowe (especially when he's not in fistfights or throwing phones), so I think I stand a good chance at enjoying this.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked it because it had a more contempory Euro-flavor to the storytelling, not an American one. It was more about mood, feelings, and discovery, not really a plot-driven film filled with twists, but rather just obstacles to figuring out the good life.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Saw this last night and agree with Patrick's comments.

At first and really the first 30 minutes or so, I was thinking this was kind of strange and even awkward at times? But it's a nice film that does take some time to get to you and I enjoyed it. Crowe is rather effective at all kinds of acting roles it seems. Albert Finney was great too.

Really loved "Gemma". She was such a smarty pants and made me smile watching her.

It certainly has a Euro flavor throughout.

Pleasant film that does have a nice message.

8/10. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks