A GOOD Widescreen Story...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Koch, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

I was out shopping for DVD's for christmas for my friends (Mainly Stunt Man and Moulin Rouge...) and I saw something very interesting...
    Media Play had these little displays that showed EXACTLY what you loose with P&S vs. the full frame transfer of the same image. I am not sure, I think it was "Dragonheart" they used. But the image was a good choice, you could see P&S cut out important info. And there was a short text blurp that explained the concept. And a nice, big headline that says, "Why Widescreen Is Better."
    dave

2. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

We used the same thing when I worked at Suncoast--but they were Jurassic Park ones. You'd be suprised how many people we actually got to see the light with those things...

3. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

probably one of the most memorable pan and scan crop jobs Ive seen is the elevator scene at the Sedgwick hotel in Ghostbusters. Bill Murray was cropped right out of the shot. It was quite interesting to see the scene in its OAR. I wish more places would have demonstration booths with explanations like these..

On a similar note:

I just returned from Best Buy and picked up a few DVDs. Now I'm sure you'll look at me like Im nuts, but I walked around passively observing the J6Ps that were wandering around aimlessly. To my suprise I actually heard a conversation over JP3 P and S and widescreen. It was a typical Girlfriend/Boyfriend scenario (at least it looked that way). The plus of it all....The boyfriend won, which I Was witness to his goal of finally making the girlfriend/wife see the light...Kudos to him who ever he is.

-Damien

4. Nick White

Nick White Stunt Coordinator

When I worked at Suncoast we had that same Dragonheart display. I believe it was originally made for the Widescreen VHS section of the store. As DVD got bigger, the market for widescreen VHS got smaller, so the section was eventually mixed into the rest of the VHS.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Kudos to Media Play! I used to enjoy shopping at my local MP until it closed down. Too bad as I would prefer to spend my dollars at a B & M that makes an effort to educate their customers on widescreen...

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

An even better example from Ghostbusters is when the two guys are in the car talking about the end days. The camera just stays in the middle of the shot, so you just see noses on each side! Clearly an inside job by an OAR fanatic. [​IMG]

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I was in Best Buy the day after Christmas, and there was a woman there buying Jurassic Park 3 for her husband... and she asked a BB employee the following question:
    "Is this in widescreen or panda scan?"
    I was DYING laughing, and she just looked at me like I was insane.

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

My local Circuit City has the same thing.

9. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Whoops, wrong thread.

10. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

I know this is a little off topic but the scene that sold me on OAR was in Star Wars where Luke says, "It's sand people all right, I can see one of them now." In the P&S you never see anything but in the OAR you see one of the sand people on the right side of the screen.