1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

A good way for rust proofing?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My sister's bike's Quick Release axle was rusted so bad, I could not get the QR out without some wrench work, the problem is she lives by the ocean and rides to work like I do. So the salt water air does horrible!!! work with her chain, her BB, etc. I managed to get both QRs off after a little shaving of the lawyer tabs and some real strong wrenching. She needs new Quick Releases now and I was wondering besides titanium QRs, any good ways of keeping the axle threads from rusting and fusing to the nut? Anti-sieze compound perhaps?

Jay

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

There are various marine lubricants for trailer bearings that should hold up, as well as Never-Seez (anti-seize compound).

You might also try waxing (either with a bike wax or just a car wax) the exposed metal parts of the bike; that might help fend off corrosion a little longer.

This might help with other parts:
    http://www.oasisdesign.net/downloads/GreaseFittings.pdf

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Something as simple as giving it a shot of light oil once a week might be all you need. WD-40 or a spray silicone lubricant will probably do the trick. The oil should provide a sufficient enough barrier to prevent rust.