A good TV for a heavy gamer?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Simon`C, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Simon`C

Simon`C Auditioning

95% of my TV viewing involves playing games. I'm looking for a TV about... 30+ inches? I would prefer a 16:9 TV, but that would only be for watching DVD's. Price range... anything less than $1,000, but I could stretch it to $2,000 if anything. If it matters, I play every genre of games - I'm a hardcore gamer.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

I also plan to get a small home theater set, so I'm off to do more research! Thanks for reading.

2. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

If your total budget is $2K, I'd look at perhaps spending $600 to $700 for a lower end 30" HDTV with integrated tuner (like the Sanyo or Philips that Wal-Mart sells), $500 for a medium end receiver (Pioneer/Denon/Onkyo), and the rest on a decent satellite/sub system (Paradigm, NHT, etc).

3. Simon`C

Simon`C Auditioning

Cool, thanks for the reply.

But don't new HDTV's have a implemented receiver?

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

There is a law now that mandates all large screen sets (36"+) have an integrated tuner, with 27" TVs next year, and the remaining sets the following year. I imagine that by fall you won't see any TVs larger than 32" without the tuner included. If you do buy a new HDTV and have cable, check that the TV has a QAM HD tuner and that your cable company is passing the HD content unencrypted (the HD locals should be passed that way), otherwise you'll have to hook up an external attenna or pay extra for a HD cable box to receive HD channels.

5. Simon`C

Simon`C Auditioning

Awesome, thanks for the much needed advice. I think I'll look for a HDTV with HDMI support... because I'll probably want it in the next couple of years.