A good subwoofer match for this setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew_G, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Andrew_G

Andrew_G Agent

Hi guys,

Thanks to these forums, I have now set up my first real home theater system. I used some speakers I had before hand that sound REASONABLE but they don't have a lot of power going out them (it's about 55 watts per speaker).

I also don't have a subwoofer yet, and this is my immediate first investment I need to make to make my setup at least complete. Then I need to work on upgrading my speakers, DVD/SACD player, blah blah.

Anyways, I have five of these identical speakers (which HAVE to go some time soon - I can't really stand them anymroe) and I need to know what subwoofer would be a good match for these speakers. I do plan on upgrading the fronts immediately to floorstanding so I guess I should also have a subwoofer which can last me through a few upgrades. I was thinking of purchasing a sub between the price range of 100 - 300 US dollars.

I have heard good things about Dayton, but I know there are other good contenders out there, and I thought that I may be able to get a bit better for my price range.

I run my speakers on a Pioneer VSX-D514K receiver and all of the video outputs go to a Sanyo PLZ-V1 projector, not like any of that matters [​IMG]

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so far to the forums for making my home theater experiences good so far! [​IMG]

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If I were you I think I'd pick up the Dayton and use the other $200 to start saving for new speakers. As wonderful as bass is, it's not going to make you start magically liking all you other speakers.

3. Andrew_G

Andrew_G Agent

Thanks, Seth, for answering my question.

In that case, what speakers do you think I should go with? Again, I was thinking about going with floorstanding. If I were to get that subwoofer, what speakers do you recommend I plug into the sub's amp? I don't want to spend a LOT of money, so what do you say would be a good entry-level floorstanding set?

If that option isn't available, I can get bookshelf or monitor speakers, but my room setup really is good for floorstanding.

In addition, can you show me a good store to buy it at, that would have a good price and be reliable as well?

Thanks so much for your help.

Andrew