a good HTIB

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RichardFlores, Oct 30, 2003.

1. RichardFlores

ok here is my plan.. I just bought a 54" RCA scenium big screen with HDTV and want to get a home theater system working. I was thinking about getting a sony dream system however I have read reviews that they are no good quality, but they do look good. was is a good HTIB that would cost me less than 500.00???

I dont know anything about Home theater so Im hestitant to go buy seperate components.

thanks guys!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Richard. Since you're asking for brand-specific recommendations your post will be more effective here in Audio/Video Sources. Good luck.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

even in the $500 range you can do better w/ seperate components than a HTIB. For the speakers I would look at either the Fluance SX-HTB ($270 @ www.fluance.com ) or JBL NSP1 ($180 at www.buy.com ). From there, the Dayton 10" 100W subwoofer ($125 from www.partsexpress.com ) is pretty much the best in the price range. For the receiver a refurbished HK 125 ($180 at www.ecost.com ) would round out the system nicely. So from $480 to $570 you could build a system that would blow away any HTIB out there(other than the Onix ELT / Denon 1804 combo which is $1299).

There are other good options for the receiver that could save you a little money, but don't skimp too much. Stick with known brand names and don't get anything that's the bottom of their line (xcept the HK i just mentioned). The speakers and sub i mentioned are all pretty standard entry level high bang-for-buck suggestions and are pretty much the best you can do in the price range.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

Richard

fyi - You may want to check out the Nov 2003 issue of Consumer Reports. It has alot of info regarding separate components and box sets

5. Nick-G

Nick-G Agent

I've had a Sony HTB (the DDW740, not a "dream system")system for about a year and a half now and it has filled its purpose. I'm a poor college student so I thought a HTB would be a good way to start out in this hobby. I have not had any problems with the Sony stuff, but am upgrading my speakers this christmas to the JBL NSP-1 set mentioned by Stephen. I am a little frustrated though because I am also getting a Sony DVD/SACD changer, but my reciever doesn't have the required inputs to listen to SACD.

Bottom line - upgrading speakers is easy, so I would make sure that the reciever won't need to be upgraded right away to take advantage of the new audio sources.

6. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

I'll agree that you could build a better system with your 500 bucks buy buying seperate componants but if you do want to go HTIB I'd recomend Onkyo. They use basicly the same parts as their big brother Integra with the difference being equipment tweeking. I have a Onkyo setup (HTS660)in one of the rooms in my house and for less than 500$ I'm thrilled with its performance.
    I wouldn't go with Sony personaly as every system I've seen has these tiny 6"x2"x4" speakers that are plastic and, they always sound way to bright to me.
    The thing to know is that no matter what you go with you're going to end replacing it once the bug bites. That is what first systems are for.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would have to agree with Stephen on this one as well. What he recommended by the JBL, Dayton sub, and the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 refurb. reciever you will blow away any HTIB and it will cost just perhaps a little more or even a little less if you can find good deals.

The HK recievers are one of the best out there, JBL is an awesome speaker, and Dayton subs are pretty good.. give it a whirl, you won't regret it...

HTIB also seem to lack the higher freq. because of no tweeter or they end up having 2" midranges which don't get the midrange very well... good luck.

8. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Amazon.com offers refurbished Onkyo 760 HT Systems for $299 (they go for $500 new). This is a 6.1 system and quite a good deal for the price.

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The onkyo would be a big step down on all three fronts (speakers, sub, receiver), the sub being the biggest step down. The onkyo uses 2 6.5" paper woofers and has always been known as the week point of that system. If $300 were the budget then this would definitely be the way to go, but the extra $200 allows for a big step up in what Richard can get [​IMG]

10. RichardFlores

wow.. thanks for the responses..

I think I might go this route.

speakers - Fluance SX-HTB ) or JBL NSP1
    the Dayton 10" 100W subwoofer
    For the receiver a refurbished HK 125

any other suggestions guys???

11. RichardFlores

what about getting the Fluance AV-HTB.. is this the same as SX-HTB only in black??

the SX-HTB cost 259.99 and the AV-HTB cost 199.99.. why is that???? hmmmm..

also the reciever only gives 45 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD (surround mode)

is this enough? I wish I could hear this before I buy it. but I am going to trust you guys!

12. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I have the same setup Steve is suggesting. Here is a quote that Fluance has from their website about the two systems." The AV-HTB and SX-HTB are different performing systems. The SX-HTB was designed with more features and higher fidelity sound. It has an upgraded crossover network, higher end Neodymium tweeters, better drivers, advanced enclosure design, and cabinets with stronger structural bracing. The SX-HTB also has all gold plated binding posts that are configured for bi-amp and bi-wire and floor spikes. Both systems perform excellently!"
    The AVR125 is an excellent receiver. It's great for music because it has a nice warm sound. Don't be fooled by H/K power ratings. They rate their wattage on five speakers driven at the same time. It weighs 27lbs. which means it has a good power supply. I'm driving my avr125 in a 425 sq. ft. room.
    The Dayton sub is probably the best sub you could buy for the money. It's clean and not boomy.
    I sound proofed my basement which cut alot of reverb out. Stay away from hard surfaces such as hardwood floors and use soft materials such as rugs to absorb reflective sounds. You'll be amazed at the sound if you go with this setup.

13. RichardFlores

about the subwoofer, well the room I am setting this up in is my living room (325 sq ft) (dont have a dedicated Home theater room) and I just put in laminate floors. so will this affect it that much? what can I do to help this?

Also if I go with the fluance SX-HTB I am thinking about painting the outside of the box to match the walls at least I dont like the look of wood. what do you think? can it be done? Also can I mount the rear speakers on the wall? are they wall mountable? or maybe using a shelf to put them on can do the trick. suggestions?

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ditto on the seperate component suggestion. Will sound so much better that a HTIB system. Now, I helped install a few box systems like Kenwood, Sony and JVC and I always find the speakers to be lacking in quality sound. Build your own system and depending on what you get, you can give the expensive HTIBs a run for their money.

15. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

You can do what you want if you want to paint them.
    I always consider the resale of my gear. Maybe in a couple of years I'll want to upgrade my speakers and a neighbour just starting out will be interested. He's not going to be interested if I took a paint roller to them.
    Maybe the av-htb set which are black would be a better choice.
    The surrounds have a small bracket on the back for hanging purposes.
    Have you ever been in a stairwell and yelled. There's a reverb present that distorts the clarity of that sound.
    Imagine a surround system in that stairwell. It's an exaggeration, but the fuller and louder the sound gets, the worse off it will become.
    Hard materials in a room will reflect sound and give a boominess and a lack of clarity. Soft materials like rugs, tapestries, couches and pillows will absorb reflective sounds and give a better clarity to that sound.

16. RichardFlores

well let me tell you.... right now the living room is empty and there is a HUGE ECHO in the whole house. very disturbing I might add. I guess that is going to really hurt the sound quality of the HT but I have to work with it since that is all I have. About painting the speakers.. If I upgrade those speakers would go somewhere else in the house like my bedroom.

well thanks for all the help. now I just have to try to get the best deals out there on these items.!

17. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit