A Good....Good Guys story!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darrel McBane, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I moved from a house to an apartment about six months ago. Boxed up all my equipment. Sold my Mitsubishi HD HDTV for $1500. And bought a demo 32" HD Loewe Calida TV. I bought the demo at Good Guys for $1567. Purchased the glass stand at a discounted price of $298 and a five year extended warranty. Total for the purchase was $2300. When I got the set delivered and setup. I checked the service menu to see how many hours were on the set. Just over 4800 hours! That was a lot more than I had figured. But, I liked the set and the extended warranty made me feel better. I don't have a HD receiver but my viewing is mostly cable TV and movies. Movies look great with the progressive scan output from these sets. I have a Sony 9000ES progressive scan player and in order to bypass the internal doubler of the Loewe I had to purchase a bypass box hooked up the VGA connection of the set. After a few months I went back to just using the internal progressive of the Loewe. The Sony looked better but, there was a red line at the top of the letter box edge. It was't huge but I did notice it.

Well, months have passed and I still like the set. But, about a month ago. I went to turn on the set. And it wouldn't come on. It would start to warm up and then shut off. I heard a little pop sound inside the set and then nothing. I unhooked the set from the wall and my VansEvers Line cleaner. Left it unplugged for about an hour and plugged it back directly to the wall. It came on finally. I just left the set on after that till I called the salesman at Good Guys that I purchased the set from. He told me to call the service area which I did. They were quite helpful and helped me find a repair person that knew Loewe set. At least they knew how to pronounce Loewe. They couldn't get over to look at the set for a full week. A full week I thought?! Oh, well. So, the set worked alright for the weeks wait. And when the repairman came to my apartment and saw that it was on. All he could say was. "Loewe"? "How do you pronounce that"? "Never heard of that set". "But, it seems to be working OK". "I guess when you unplugged the set. It reset the set" he said. He packed up and left.

So, a week ago Sunday I go to turn on the set and again......nothing. Not even an effort. It was dead. I called the salesman that day. But, he was off till Tuesday. I then called the Good Guys service again. And told them my problem. The offered to send out the repairman again. I told her that the repair people didn't know my set and I wanted an authorized repairman for Loewe. And I would try and find a repair person and get back to them. I could'nt find anyone in the Seattle area. Come Tuesday and I called the salesman again. He said he'd call the Loewe Rep and get back to me. A day passes and I talked to the salesman again. He also couldn't come up with a authorized repairman. He was leaning to-wards replacing it with a new 30" Aconda model. But, had to go through G.E. to get the OK. G.E. wanted to replace it with a 32" HD Sony valued at the price I purchased the Loewe at. Around $1500. The salesman argued that the Loewe and Sony are not the same class of sets And that they should replace the set with the new Loewe set. It took G.E. about two day to decide. But, they agreed to replace it for the new 30" Aconda! It did cost me for a new extended warranty. But, I wasn't too put out at that. I figure I'm getting a brand new Loewe Aconda 30" HD set for close to half price. And still have five years of coverage.

I think things have worked out for me going through Good Guys and using an extended warranty. Maybe I'll get a new set in another 5000 hours?!

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Cool deal. I usually don't buy extended warranties but when you make an investment that large it is better to get an extended warranty.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Much of my equipment came from Good Guys. I've usually found them to be reliable and stand behind their sales.

4. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I also haven't bought many extended warranties. My first was the Mitsubishi. Just because I wasn't sure how a RPTV would hold up. And the store "Magnolia HIFI" has had a policy that if you don't use the warranty in it's life span then you get equal store value. On a $300-$400 warranty. That can buy a new DVD play or Cut the price of a bigger purchase.
    I've also been leery of Good Guys. Maybe it just prejudice on my part. But, many of the sales people seems to be just going through the motion on information and help. I have a friend who has bought a lot through G.Gs. and has had a good relation with salesmen. That's part of doing business with the same store I guess.
    I definitely will be seeing my "new buddy" Sean on future purchases. [​IMG]

5. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

I bought a Toshiba TN50X81 from the Good Guys here in Ventura Ca. and after 10 months it got to where it would not stay converged. After 4 service calls and still having problems I went over to the store and the manager looked at my service contract and all of my service call receipts and offered to replace my set under the "no lemon" clause in the contract. They didn't have any Toshiba models in stock at that time so they replaced it with my current Sony KP53-HS10. I've bought allot of stuff from The Good Guys and this just helps confirm where my next purchase will come from. They are indeed "Good Guys".
    Later
    Jim