A Good Authorized online dealer to purchase Yamaha receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cory O, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Cory O

Cory O Auditioning

I've read the ins and outs on warrenty issues if you don't purchase from an authorized dealer. I'm interested in buying the Yammy HTR-5760 receiver due to all of the wonderful reviews I've read from here. I'm going to Best Buy to get my hands on it first just to make sure I do indeed want that model. But as long as Best Buy has it marked up more than $100.00 than online retailers, I tend to stick to the online dealers. My problem is, I don't want to order from just anybody. Any suggestions on where to buy my Yamaha from a good online retailer where the factory warranty stays intact?

2. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

www.jr.com would be the source if i were looking right now. I have a 5760 and I love it by the way!![​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Cory,

Even if the vendor is not authorized, you could look into spending $30 - $50 more on a supplimental warranty from them. This would protect you in the event any issues were to come up.

I'm sure even with the extended warranty, you'll still be ahead of the game in buying it on-line.

Example:

On Line: $330 + $50 (warranty) + $25 (shipping): $405.
    Best Buy: $499 + $25 (tax): $529.

4. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

nice of best buy to provide you with a listening station and the ability to check it out though......

5. Wayne Ernst

Jake,

Actually, the way I've seen the receivers situated in Best Buy, it's pretty hard to use them as a source to listen to a receiver that you want to buy. Most, if not all of their receivers are not even connected to speakers. If you want to listen to speakers, they are usually being driven by a 2 y.o. Yamaha receiver.

I'm all for supporting local business, when I get a chance. I'm just not sure if Best Buy is classified as "local" or not, though. Any reputable audio dealer will more than likely be a mom 'n pop type of shop. They'll usually spend time getting to know your needs and proudly show the equipment that they are selling. Plus, they'll even be open to some negotiating.

Best Buy, on the other hand, only cares about selling their gear at MSRP, unless you are lucky enough to find it on sale. Plus, in my experience, the BB associate tends to push the extended warranties quite hard. They don't know the products they are selling very well, but they sure know hot to sell those extended warranties.

Again, I love to support local retailers. [​IMG]

6. Mike_Mc

Mike_Mc Extra

Jake, another vote for JR.com I bought the exact receiver 2 weeks ago. Good price, free shipping and authorized dealer.

7. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

Get the RX-V750 instead.

8. Wayne Ernst

Why? The RX-V750 doesn't offer much more over the HTR-5760 other than component video up-conversion and a few more watts of power. The RX-V750 does not have the parametric EQ.

If pushing other Yamaha receivers over the HTR-5760, I'd recommend the HTR-5790, RX-V1400 or RX-V2400 because they all have parametric EQs as part of YPAO.

9. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

JR is a good company to deal with, there is a guy on my car audio board who has had an issue with a non authorized store, he bought the extended warranty the item was defective out of the box, paid to ship it back the company said he never sent it back (turns out it's a kid in his basement)