1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A glimmer of hope at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronMK, Sep 13, 2001.

1. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I was at Wal-Mart to buy some stuff today, and checked their DVD section out of curiosity. Not only did they have both editions of Silence of the Lambs, but they had twice as many copies of the P&S edition in stock as the OAR.
    It is nice to see that they are starting to relax their "Full Screen only on dual releases". It was also good to see that even many Wal-Mart shoppers knew which version to get.
    While I have usually avoided purchasing DVD's there because of that Full Screen only practice, I decided to buy one there today. (Ahead of street date as well!!!) [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.
    [Edited last by AaronMK on September 13, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

My local Wal-Mart seems to always get the widescreen versions in, although in smaller quantities compared to P&S. The main problem with them seems to be that once the widescreen version sells out they do not order more as long as ther are still P&S copies at the store.
    I don't really do much shopping there anyway due to their limited selection, and not stocking non mainstream films.
    J

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

How do you know they weren't just stocking twice as many pan-and-scan discs than widescreen, as opposed to widescreen selling twice as much? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Jon,
    You could tell by the way they were shelved. There was a stack of P&S and a smaller stack of OAR. Both stacks had a few of their respective version placed side ways on top. The P&S had more copies stacked on top and more copies in the main column.
    So there!
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Aaron,
    Although I am no marketing analyst, I think most stores like Wal-Mart are going to stock twice as much P&S material as they are WS. You have to remember, it is speculated the majority of consumers who buy P&S releases buy them from places like Wal-Mart. It is also speculated the majority of people who buy WS releases buy them from places like Best Buy or purchase them online.
    Does anyone have any actual data (hard numbers) to support which format sells better where? I host a friendly challenge to prove me either correct or incorrect. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

6. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

Just a side thought.....
    Did you ever think that the reason you 'see' so many 'P&S' copies of movies at WallyWorld.. Is that the widescreen version are selling and the 'P&S' are gathering dust?
    Now at my local 'SAM's they have a number of 'reduced priced' DVD's and I noticed that the movie 'Stuart Little' which was a dual format release only had 'P&S' version in the discount bins????

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  8. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Now, if only they'll fix their stupid "7am" policy about new releases we'll be all set. Does anyone know why they do this?? All the Wal-Marts in my area give me the same "not until 7am" line.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Funny, my local Wal-Marts tend to put out new releases long before 7AM. Several days before 7AM, in fact.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

10. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I was out at Wally world today looking for 2001 they didn't have it, but while i was chekcing to see if some idiot had filed it under T, i saw The Rock Criterion priced for 22.88, i debated with myself for about five minutes if i could really justify the purchase, and finally convinced myself to get it since id'd seen it at other Walmarts for 29.95 well when i was chekcing out later it rang up at 29.99, I said that it was warked for 23$ and they did a price check, found out i was right, marked it down to 22.88, then took 3$ off for the trouble [​IMG] bottom line, i got Rock Criterion for 19.88 less than half of list price, and brand new at that [​IMG].
    Adam

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I bought Lawrence of Arabia for $26.99 at a Wally World...right next to the fullframe Jurassic Park.
    I also bought Blazing Saddles and Casblanca for 12.99 each.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

12. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    My local Wal-Mart only stocks P&S versions of movies that are released in both widescreen and P&S. I had to drive over an hour just to pick up the widescreen version of Silence of the Lambs. [​IMG] I have a feeling it will get worse as more companies release both versions to market.