A Ghost Is Born- new Wilco

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Broadman, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm surprised there's no thread on this one yet...

New Wilco albums these days are as anticipated and buzzworthy as new Radiohead albums- and as divisive.

A Ghost Is Born finds Tweedy wearing his heart on his sleeve more than before, especially in his vocal intonation. Meanwhile, the album favors heavy distortion and more urgent, driving sounds.

I personally really like it. It seems to have elements of Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, old school Television, yet with a singer more enjoyable than any of these bands.

The biggest gripe: the second-to-last track has over 10 minutes of just noise and distortion. I hate it when bands do this kind of crap.

However, the other long tune, Spiders, is really great.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Nothing on this record really grabbed me on the first listen, unlike YHF and Summerteeth--both of those records had cuts that stuck with me quickly. This one will need several more spins.

3. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    My initial thoughts on A Ghost Is Born can be cut-and-pasted from my thoughts on The Polyphonic Spree's The Beginning Stages Of.... Moments of brilliance, stretches of mediocrity, and fifteen minutes (down from the Spree's 36+) of worthless droning, which mercifully is confined to one track.

My problem with this new album (and the previous album) is that I don't completely enjoy any of the tracks. I like elements of some, and even the majority of others, but the countless instances of gratuitous discordance thrown in prevent me from declaring any given track "great, period" instead of "great, except..."

Like Angelo, I need to give it several more spins. I listened to it in its entirety a few times during my road trip this past weekend, but I have yet to listen to it in an environment free of road noise and other distractions.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Then am I the only one who thinks Spiders is one of their best tracks?

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Of the last three records, I think Summerteeth is the best effort. But none have the repeatability of Being There to my ears.