"A Future for *Futurama*?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rex Bachmann, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Sci-Fi Wire
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...07/24/13.00.tv
    9:00am ET, 24-July-02
    "Matt Groening, co-creator of Fox's animated SF spoof Futurama, told SCI-FI Wire that he has big plans for the show, even if Fox doesn't resume production on the series once it airs the remaining 16 or so episodes that have already been completed. 'Futurama's not over,' Groening said in an interview at Fox's fall preview party in Los Angeles. 'We're going full-steam ahead with keeping the universe alive in whatever form we can. And there are stories and movies and cartoons and comic books and toys yet to come. And video games.'
    Groening's Futurama partner, David X. Cohen, added that the game is due in January. 'We have a Futurama video game for all the major home platforms: Xbox, PlayStation, GameCube,' he said. 'And I think there was much more input from the creative team, partially because we're not having to spend our time on the show, for some reason. So [J.] Stewart Burns, one of the original writers on the show, has written the script for the game. And there's actually so much material in there that basically you get a whole episode of Futurama sort of in the interstitial segments of the game.'
    Fox ordered the end of production at the end of last season and will air the remaining episodes starting in the fall. Among the episodes still to come are one in which Lt. Kif Kroker (Maurice LeMarche) becomes pregnant, another in which Bender the robot (John Di Maggio) undergoes a sex change, and another guest-starring Simpsons regular Dan Castellaneta as the voice of the Robot Devil, who makes a deal with Fry (Billy West) to impress Leela (Katey Sagal).
    Groening said he's eager to continue working with the creators of the show, whether or not Futurama has a future. 'I love this group of people that I worked with on Futurama, and we're going to work on another project,' he said. 'If it's not Futurama, I'm going to try to keep as many of the same people as I can to work on another animated project. I've got ... a couple of [SF&F] movies in the works, and I've got a couple of TV shows as well that I want to do. And we'll see. As many people as I can work with, I will go for.' "

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Hmm...I would love a Futurama movie...

At least we can look forward to another season.

3. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Godspeed Matt Groening!!!

Please don't let Futurama suffer an unjustly death!!!

C

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Futurama Rules!!!

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Futurama certainly deserves better. If Fox doesn't want it, would Sci-fi or Comedy Central? Perhaps it costs too much for commercial cable.

6. andrew markworthy

Sorry to be a dissenting voice, but I think the series jumped the shark a long time ago. Bender and Fry were amusing at first but now just grate on the nerves, and the plots are usually lame. Okay, the last couple of series produced the occasional good episode but generally there wasn't enough to keep it going. Equally, I'd kill off the Simpsons (and for that matter, Frasier and Friends) - some classic early series whose memory is tarnished with series after series of mediocrity with only the occasional single episode to remind us of the glories that are now past.

7. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

FOX can bite Bender's shiny metal ass.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The Simpsons did dip in quality over the last season, so I can only hope it gets better.

But Futurama I found to always be funny.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"But Futurama I found to always be funny"

And thats whats important. it is funny, and sometimes its hilarious.
    I dont watch sitcoms becuase theyre NOT funny.
    Like the Simpsons - a bad Futurama episode is better than most other stuff out there.

10. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I think Futurama got sucked into a black hole at the starting gate. Except for Bender, who hardly gets any airtime anyway, it's a total bore to me.