What's new

A Fistful Of Dynamite: Region 2 - 21st July (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You've seen this thread on the Sergio Leone web board have you Gordon?

This comment in particular intrigued me:

"Yes, I will be putting the complete final flashback into the end of "Duck, You Sucker!" for theatrical re-release. I can't tell you anything about DVD plans; I work in the studio's Film Dept., and the Home Video Dept. is a world unto its own - so far it has only selected about half of the films I've restored in the last 5 or 6 years for release on DVD. I have heard that there are currently no plans to release the extended English version of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" on DVD."

---
So many films, so little time...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
WOW! Cheers, John! I'm ashamed to admit that I had forgotten about that site! Great stuff... sort-of! :D

If some hard-working chap sweats blood to restore a film, there really ought to be a DVD edition to preserve the film for video at least. The 162-minute version is a wild, amazing piece of Leone!

Thanks again, John! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 162-minute version is a wild, amazing piece of Leone!
Yes it is :emoji_thumbsup:

And for that very reason, it's 'no sale' for the cut version for me!

BTW Frayling's Something to Do With Death lists the original running times as 138 minutes of both the US and British versions, 154 minutes in Italy and 150 minutes in France with the restored version at 160 minutes (!)

---

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John & Gordon for the info.

I take it that I should only watch the uncut version the.

I have never seen this one

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I take it that I should only watch the uncut version.
Well... yes, but I'm not sure how long you'll have to wait to see the 162m version. I can't understand MGM's reason for releasing the 132m version when they themselves (well, the 'film department', at least) have a man working on the restored English language version of the 162m cut! Baffling. :frowning:

Get with it, MGM! :angry:

Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
so far it has only selected about half of the films I've restored in the last 5 or 6 years for release on DVD
Really disheartening news indeed. :frowning:

When a film is restored on film, a hi-def videomaster should be as soon as possible and a DVD released after the theatrical re-release has ended. It really is as simple as that. It's a win-win siuation: you make your restoration budget back; you please the fans; and you preserve the film for future HD-DVD/HD-TV versions/broadcasts. What a good idea, eh?!

Gordy

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
What is also annoying is that the old LaserDisc from MGM/UA at least was the version running 154 minutes - you'd think they'd use that at least as the starting point (as it has the flashback at the end at least)...or is a question of not wanting to pay the BBFC to certify another version?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And now the better news:

A Fistful of Dynamite has just gone to the BBFC for certification and they say it's a version lasting 150m 44s (thanks to alf on thedvdforums.com for spotting this.)

They have also certified what could be a commentary for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

---

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from the bbfc

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY Video
Feature
Classified 16 June, 2003 . Run Time 156m 1s

Audio Descriptive,
Advice for consumers
Language Some, mild
Sex/Nudity None
Violence Some, moderate
Other None

The main spoken language in this work is English.
The BBFC has placed this work in the WESTERN genre(s).

When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 156m 1s.

This work was passed with no cuts made.

At the time of classification MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) Ltd was the holder of the rights or the brand name for this work.

Directed by Sergio Leone Producer(s) Alberto Grimaldi

The cast for this work includes: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach, Aldo Giuffre, Mario Brega, Luigi Pistilli, Rada Rassimov, Livio Lorenzon, Enzo Petito, Claudio Scarchilli, John Bartho, Antonio Casale.

A film or video, together with associated trailers may exist in several versions and all versions known to the BBFC are listed below.

Category Type Date Company Run Time Cut Title
Film 01/05/1968 United Artists Corp. Ltd Yes THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY
Video 04/06/1986 Warner Home Video Ltd 155m 16s No THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY
VideoTrailer 14/08/1997 Warner Home Video Ltd 3m 18s No THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
Video 11/03/1999 Warner Home Video Ltd 156m 0s No THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
VideoTrailer 29/06/1999 MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) Ltd 3m 20s No THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
Video 16/06/2003 MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) Ltd 156m 1s No THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

Details are likely to be more complete and accurate for the version submitted most recently.
When a film is transferred to video the running time will be shorter by approximately 4% due to the differing number of frames per second. This does not mean that the video version has been cut or re-edited.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw a "John Hodson" at the Anchor Bay UK forums the other day - is that you?
Guilty - I'm trying to persuade AB UK that it would be a damn fine idea to license the now OOP R1 version of The Lair of The White Worm (the new Artisan disc is a disgrace) complete with Kuddly Ken Russell Kommentary; or at the very least produce a Ken Russell box set!

BTW slightly less good news on the Fistful front, 3 mins plus of that 150m 44s runtime by the BBFC looks like being a trailer...bugger!

---

Real Name
Anthony
Maybe I'm being thick, but I'm a little confused about the
findings here.

Does this mean that a new release of THE GOOD, THE BAD . . is coming, but that there'll be no difference in running time from previous versions ? So this isn't the new, restored version ?
And John, have you confused "Audio Descriptive" with a commentary, or have you some other info ?
And why do you refer to FISTFUL in your last post ? You mean
TGTBATU, yes ?

The Dollar trilogy really deserves lavish treatment on DVD, and I'm hoping this is the first sign it's happening.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's a bit confusing... if it's 150'44" PAL, that would mean an original film of 157'2". That's supiciously close to the 156'1" of the second post, but if that would be a PAL version submitted to the BBFC, it could mean an original 162'31" film!

So what is it? That's the big question here.

Cees

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It's a bit confusing... if it's 150'44" PAL, that would mean an original film of 157'2". That's supiciously close to the 156'1" of the second post, but if that would be a PAL version submitted to the BBFC, it could mean an original 162'31" film!
It appears to be the longer version released on laserdisc by MGM in the US. That release had an NTSC running time of about 154m, and therefore a PAL running time of about 147m. This lines up with this British DVD, which has a running time of 147m 11s. The longest cut known has been released on DVD in Italy, and it has a PAL running time of 150m (which would be around 157m without PAL speedup - this matches up with IMDb's description of the Italian cut as running 157m). Although most sites list the Italian disc as having a running time of 154m, DVD.it lists it as 150m, as does this Italian review (although the specs at the top state it's 154m, the text of the review says that it's the 157m version, 150m with PAL speedup). IMDb states that the difference in running times is accounted for by a scene that runs for 3m in Italian cut as opposed to 30s in the other longer cut. Sadly, the Italian DVD release contains no English dub or subs (and may not have ever been dubbed into English, hence its being missing from the LD and UK DVD).

Although we're not getting the full Italian version (and therefore are missing 2m 30s of a certain scene), at least we're getting the longer cut previously released on LD...

DJ

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe I'm being thick, but I'm a little confused about the
findings here.

Does this mean that a new release of THE GOOD, THE BAD . . is coming, but that there'll be no difference in running time from previous versions ? So this isn't the new, restored version ?
And John, have you confused "Audio Descriptive" with a commentary, or have you some other info ?
And why do you refer to FISTFUL in your last post ? You mean
TGTBATU, yes ?
I'm assuming 'Audio Descriptive' (as you see in oscar's post) to be a commentary, or possibly a descriptive track for the blind (which on reflection may be more likely); and the running time indicates a release with no restored scenes, dissapointingly.

This thread is about Gui La Testa / Fistful of Dynamite / Once Upon a Time in The Revolution (call it what you will), my comment referred to that.

---

Real Name
Anthony
But Oscar's post is about THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, right ? Passed 16th June 2003 ?
Oscar, did you mean this to be A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE ?
Me no understandee :frowning:

By the way, John, yes ; I'm sure audio descriptive is an HOH track.

Sean, Sean, Sean . . .:)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Anthony

it is like John said, and this thread turned into films of Leone all of a sudden.

I found at HMV's Sale, My Name is Nobody with Henry Fonda & Terrence Hill with some scenes directed by the man himself.

Is this worth getting ?

Cheers

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks