What's new

A Fish Called Wanda CE : Cancelled or Not? (1 Viewer)

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping to get lucky with Amazon like I did long ago with Duel. They halted that at the last minute but Amazon got some in & shipped them & I was one of the lucky ones. My order should arrive late tomorrow (via UPS Amazon Prime Trial). I'll post what I got asap & I'll either be ecstatic if it's the DE or fuming if it's the old release.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
For what it's worth, I think it's a good thing it was delayed and that Fox is getting MGM's distribution.
I was really upset about the barebones treatment of Yellowbeard, especially the blue "filmstrip" menu with no chapter stops.

Believe me, we're getting something better.

Later,
ERICKA

P.S. If your a ninja turtles fan, check out my thread. I just got a reply from New Line that they're considering a new transfer of the first movie!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ah! Another Yellowbeard fan. :)

I hated that bluescreen crap too. I was thinking I would've designed a menu system for free. Well, if they gave me a few free DVDs. ;)

Best thing about YB was the addition of subtitles and the pretty good transfer.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Radioman970,

I admit at least the transfer was pretty descent. It's nice to finally have it on dvd. Maybe Fox will re-issue it with some extras. But it kills me with the "filmstrip" crap because I'm sure Sony has the $$ for a still photo menu with music!
ERICKA

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, it was very nice. A slight out of focus look that was probably there since it's release. But the color was very good and minimal grain after it got going. I had 5 copies on VHS because I watch it so much. :D The sound was good too. I noticed a slight warped moment when the guard wacks Yellowbeard on the back with a stick to tell him he has a visitor. Yellowbeard says, "I suspect that'll be the queen with my pardon"...seems like "that'll" is messed up. I thought my DVD was flawed when I heard that problem. But it was on my old VHS copies too, just less pronounced.

I would've loved to see the trailer. I remember the one HBO used to show had a scene not in the final cut of the film (or maybe just not in the US version). When Cleese pinches Feldman's nose, Feldman says "I'm afraid you've forced my hand". Cleese says, "No I forced your nose". That's missing on this print. I ALWAYS do that line myself. :D

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Here's hoping the delay will give MGM a chance to change that DREADFUL cover art. My god that thing is awful.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
They should just keep the original iconographic image of the four cast members; spruce it up a little bit so people notice the difference between the original 1-disc version and the new 2-disc version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just received this odd email from amazon.

from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order.

You can track the status of this order, and all your orders, online by
visiting Your Account at http://www.amazon.com/gp/l

There you can:
* Track your shipment
* View the status of unshipped items
* Cancel unshipped items
* Return items
* And do much more

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com LLC):
1 A Fish Called Wanda (Delux... $16.99 1 $16.99

Item Subtotal: $16.99
Shipping & Handling: $1.98

Super Saver Discount $-1.98
Promotion Applied $0.00

Total: $16.99

Paid by Visa: $16.99

but if you go here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

not currently available

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news that this is back on track. :emoji_thumbsup: Easily the best comedy in the past twenty years IMO.

Hopefully this bodes well for the other MGM properties still in DVD limbo (Leone SE's, Midnite Movies, etc.)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Tony,

I mentioned above I also received a shipment notice Tuesday night. In fact, the package is out for delivery today, so I should know what it is by the early evening.

My guess is that these discs were already printed and some made it out. I recently got My Summer Story (aka It Runs In the Family), which is another MGM title. That disc has Sony logos on it. Now, with the change to Fox, I would think the only thing holding up Wanda is cover art changes to eliminate the Sony logos and add Fox logos.

Amazon, may have gotten some stock and just released it. I doubt MGM is going to try and fine the largest online retailer over a early release of a somewhat obscure catalog title.

Fingers crossed.....

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

Amazon plainly states on their website that they ship out titles early so that customers can expect to receive them on street day. Obviously they must do this to be able to compete with brick-and-mortar stores, and I'm sure studios have nothing against that policy. If they did, they would have gone after Amazon years ago.

If they didn't want Wanda released, they should've recalled the title earlier in order to avoid copies shipping out via Amazon.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
What's interesting Marko is that my shipment wenout out over a week after the originally scheduled release date (8/1).

Also, Amazon, has been shipping my Amazon Prime orderson Mondays, so I am actually receiving them a day after release. But the prices with free shipping and no tax meet or beat the B&M's, so right now I'll keep using them.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
GOT IT! And it's the Collector's Edition. UPS just dropped it off (Amazon Prime Trail basis thank God). I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off of it which is over the box & slipcover. I got some Wanda to watch today K...k....Ken.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Movie looked beautiful. BUT, I know why it was pulled & it has nothing to do with Sony/Fox. There is no running time or chapter stops listed during the entire course of the movie. You can advance and go backwards by chapter and go to a specific chapter by scene selection but while watching the movie you have absolutely no idea what chapter you are in or how far along you are. Second disc of extras (& a couple easter eggs) all have title, chapter & running times on them. There are 15 deleted scenes with commentary that run about 30 minutes. 4 documentaries (2 around 18 minutes & 2 around 30 minutes), theatrical trailer, 2 eggs & 4 previews. Haven't watched any of the features yet except to check the running times. Going to do that now. Movie is anamorphic & looks great. They may be switching to Fox but I seriously believe the lack of time & chapter listings is the reason it got pulled. More later.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
No running time or chapter stops? Bleh, whoop-de-doo. Now that Amazon is showing the title back in stock again, my order has been made; I can't wait to own this rarity!

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
It HAS running time & chapter stops. They just don't show up on my Panasonic PVD-4744S dvd/vcr combo which is the machine I have hooked up to my Samsung 50" DLP. I just put the movie disc in my Sony SLV-D370P dvd/vcr combo which is hooked up to a Sanyo 25" non ws tv & the on screen display of the chapter stops & running time works 100%. I've now watched both discs & it is a great release. PQ is great & about 2 hours of features plus some still photos on disc 2. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks