What's new

A Film Greats Extra: Woody Allen’s ‘Everyone Says I Love You’ (1996) (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
While talking to someone here about films that might qualify for my Film Greats series, this title was mentioned. I don’t know how I missed this one considering the director and cast involved, but I did. Released in late 1996 for an Oscar qualifying run, it only made less than $10M in its entire run ending in early 1997. I have to admit that when I first heard that Edward Norton, Tim Roth (Planet Of The Apes), and Julia Roberts sing in this movie, I was a little bit skeptical. That opening musical number where Norton sings to Drew Barrymore was a little hard to take at first but I warmed up to it after a while.
The entire film is a tribute to the musicals of yesteryears with Woody Allen’s usual story about the complications of human love. Allen succeeds in giving us a film that is both hilarious and witty (maybe, even one of his best). Some of the musical numbers may not be refined or polished as they should be with some of the choreography appearing haphazardly done. But one overlooks these minor details and instead concentrates on the complete whole. The film is also beautifully shot with locations in New York, Paris and Venice. The rest of the cast includes Alan Alda, Goldie Hawn and Natalie Portman, among others.
While Everyone Says I Love You may not be a “great” film in the literal meaning of the word, it is nonetheless, very highly entertaining. Some of the dialogues are well-executed and well-written and the one liners are truly funny. What a primer for Allen’s next film opening this coming weekend, Curse Of The Jade Scorpion.
But I do have to give credit where credit is due. This film was suggested to me by Tino. Okay, Tino, you are now absolved of your prior questionable recommendations, which includes Chocolat and another “musical” which shall remain nameless.
wink.gif
Yes, the missus enjoyed it too. Much fun for a Saturday evening.
Woody Allen: ”Tell me this is a joke. Otherwise, there’s gonna be carnage.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on August 19, 2001 at 12:46 AM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Finally!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I fell completely in love with this film the momemt I saw it. You could say it's sort of a precurser to Moulin Rouge.
I thought all the off key singing by the actors added to the wonderful charm of the entire film.
Add to that Woody Allen's sharp wit and dialog and you have one of the funniest, most original films of his career.
Of all his films, Everyone Says I Love You is my favorite.
Tino in his best off key singing voice..*cough* *cough*,..."I'm through with love, I'll never love again..."
biggrin.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
For whatever reason, I hadn't seen this until a few months ago. It was the last film to play at Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival back in April. What a delightful way to finish the festival! I'm not sure where I'd put it in a list of Woody's best films, but it would be in the upper portion.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection, Another Woman, September, Shadows and Fog, Alice, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Gray's Anatomy
Most recent column: One Hundred and Counting

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I guess I might have been the only one to see this one in the theater. While it's not a great film, it is definately enjoyable. I'm just not sure about Woody singing though!
Of course, I'm definately looking forward to seeing Curse of the Jade Scorpion.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Yes! Defiantely a great movie. Very very funny.
"That's it. I'm going to kill myself. I'm going to throw myself off the Eiffel Tower. In fact, if I take the concrode I can be dead three hours earlier."
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Some of the musical numbers may not be refined or polished as they should be with some of the choreography appearing haphazardly done.
I felt that the "haphazard" choreography captured the spontaneity and averageness.
~T

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
It is too bad that the DVD of this film is from Miramax, which means a bare bones disc that is non-anamorphic. I for one, am hoping that this title is revisited someday.
~Edwin

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Add to that the fact that it is presented in MONO! Was that how it was released in theaters? I could have sworn it was at least in Dolby Stereo.
An SE would be very nice.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Erg. IMDB does not list what the original sound was, but being a Woody Allen Film, I wouldn't doubt that the original was mono. I seem to recall seeing it in theaters in mono, but it's been 5 years, so maybe I'm mistaken.
Also, the laserdisc was done in mono.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones
[Edited last by AdrianJ on August 21, 2001 at 08:01 AM]

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
It is too bad that the DVD of this film is from Miramax, which means a bare bones disc that is non-anamorphic. I for one, am hoping that this title is revisited someday.
While an anamorphic disc would be great, I can't imagine that we'd ever see anything but a trailer on a DVD release of a Woody Allen film.
Not only has he refused to ever watch any of his films, once released--ruling out a director's commentary--he has stated quite clearly that he does not see the need to supplement his work with extras.
Still, this excellect film deserves an 16x9 enhanced picture.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I have been dying to check out the inspiration for this movie: Peter Bogdanovich's much-maligned 1975 musical "At Long Last Love" starring Burt Reynolds, Madeline Kahn, and Cybill Shepherd. Bogdanovich was also doing the spontaneous take on the musical and recorded the sound live as opposed to lip-synching from a clean studio track. The film was savaged upon release, but I understand it's gained a cult following since then and is credited as inspiring "Everyone Says I Love You".
Sadly the film, has NEVER been released on VHS, LD, or any other home video format. It's a FOx film and I wish they'd release it on DVD or at least license it to someone like Anchor BAy who might be able to make it work as a cult release.
Has anyone here seen this film? I am a pretty big Bogdanovich fan and it's the only film of his I haven't been able to track down. The more I read about this movie, the more intrigued I am to see it.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone here seen this film?
Jodee, I have not seen At Long Last Love. But it is very interesting that you mention Peter Bogdanovich as one of his films is scheduled to be profiled in my continuing series in the next few weeks. I would like to hear your thoughts then. :)
~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks