A few xbox questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Graham, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Agent

Hey everyone..

I have a couple questions about the xbox. First off, is the quality of the DVD playback any good? Right now I have a stand alone DVD player (non progressive scan) and I'm just wondering if I'll see any differences in the quality (I plan on building a HTPC with Progressive Scan within the next year so I could probably get by for a while with a little less quality). Does the xbox support any other features like MP3, CDR/W or VCD? How about Music CD's?

Thanks

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

The DVD playback is about on par with a basic stand alone player. I don't find the color to be as good as my Sony DVD player, but it's very close. The Xbox will read CDs & CDRWs. Some people find CDRs of certain brands work, but I haven't had any luck with that. VCDs & MP3s do not work. (you can convert MP3s to WAV & burn them to a CDRW that way however) You can rip music to the hard drive, where it is saved in a compressed format (WMA), & there is also a nifty visualization program which you can watch when playing music.(like Windows Media Player or Winamp's)
    You can play your ripped tracks off the hard drive in jukebox fashion, or use them in games that support custom playlists. One more note, there is a rumor that the European Xbox will feature progressive DVD playback, but I dunno about that. (damn internet rumors)
    One more thing...check out the Next-Generation Hardware FAQ for some good information.
    Hope that was helpful,
    -Dan

3. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Agent

That was a Huge help. Thanks a lot!

4. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

So are you saying you can play music converted to wav format on a CDRW and rip it to the XBOX?

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Joe, yes you can do that.

I made one correction to my above post. The files are converted to WMA on the hard drive. (I had typed WMV)

-Dan

6. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Agent

Ok... I won a bid on an Xbox, 7 games (Silent Hill2--Amped--Halo--SSX Tricky--NBA 2002--NHL 2002--Madden 2002) and the DVD playback hardware. I got a killer deal on it so I'm extremely happy. So here's the question.

Is there any advantage to using the Monster Component cable as opposed to the HD kit? I have an extra component cable laying around I could use with the HD kit if there isn't much difference in picture quality between the kit and the Monster cable.

-Scott

I forgot to mention I have a Samsung 47" Widescreen HDTV.

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Scott,

There is a known problem with the optical output on the Monster cable for Xbox. You should be able to find more information if you do a search on it here at the forum. I've never heard any bad things on the Microsoft HD Pack, so I would recommend that.

-Dan

8. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

I bought the monster cables for the "advanced" AV option, and they did not enable the options to pop up on the dashboard for DD and DTS. It took me a month before I took that crap back and went with the Microsoft cable.
    So beware of the 3rd party "marketing fiasco".[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Agent

Thanks for the replies!

It sounds like I will be going with the Microsoft HD Kit, especially since it is $30 less, I already have a component cable for it, so I will just need the Optical cable and I guess I will be set.

10. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I'm surprised they would allow the XBOX to read CDRW's and not CDR's. What's the difference really? You still can download music of the internet and save it to your XBOX illegally. I thought that was what they wanted to discourage.

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Joe - its not a deliberate decision from a piracy point of view, just that a DVD laser can usually read CD-RWs, but CDR reading normally requires either a refocussing lens or dual lenses. Its all down to which hardware is cheapest, as far as I can tell.

12. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

I'd just like to add for those considering the purchase of the mad catz ultra a/v kit, don't. This looked like a good value as it included a fibre optic cable, while the microsoft advance a/v pack does not. But, the mad catz unit will not transmit dolby digital through the toslink. Reason. When you select dolby surround under the audio settings, you're supposed to be taken to a sub-menu where you enable dolby digital and dts. This doesn't happen with the madcatz. No submenu appears. I had to take the madcatz kit back and pick up the advanced a/v pack from ms instead.